Still playing with Tonka toys!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
That's what the wife is telling me😂. Been building on this mini loader on/off for a few months. Pretty much a motorized wheel barrow. Bucket has about 1/8 of a yard capacity. Still need to get the pump mounted and hydraulics plumbed but it's getting there slowly. Winter and wrestling season slow progress substantially.

IMG_20220205_132313645.jpg IMG_20220205_131102549.jpg IMG_20220205_124426960.jpg

They always said men never grow up. Thier toys just get bigger and more expensive.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Cool project
A welder i know made a scaled down 950 loader out of a ford pickup drive train,because he could.
The money he made as a welder he could have bought a good 950 and been money ahead.
My latest" Tonka Toy" made the virtual deal last night a Cat 219 Feller Buncher.
Just about the last piece for the new firewooding business i will add to my services.
My brother is shopping for a bandsaw mill,so i will trade logs for use of the mill i have a few dry cabins to build.

Reactions: DodgyNomad
Sweet. Does the jd tractor have power steering? Good looking fab work.
No power steering (yet). I'm hoping the small bucket and weight won't need it. Next step would be skinny rib tires and the add power as a last resort.

Cool project
A welder i know made a scaled down 950 loader out of a ford pickup drive train,because he could.
The money he made as a welder he could have bought a good 950 and been money ahead.
My latest" Tonka Toy" made the virtual deal last night a Cat 219 Feller Buncher.
Just about the last piece for the new firewooding business i will add to my services.
My brother is shopping for a bandsaw mill,so i will trade logs for use of the mill i have a few dry cabins to build.
Fortunately my weekends are cheap labor. Steel was the cheapest part of the project. Hydraulic part prices are what will make you rethink your sanity. But it keeps me busy and it's fun so what the heck. It's only money.

Got the pump and controller mounted. Just waiting on hard line and fittings so I can get it plumbed.

IMG_20220206_133634656.jpg IMG_20220206_133549372.jpg

Any ideas on a compact or inline suction side filter? Space is at a premium on the supply side. I may have to just put it on the return line.

I can't help on the filter assembly. I can say that I really like what you're doing , but I do question if the front end is robust enough to handle the load.

I can't help on the filter assembly. I can say that I really like what you're doing , but I do question if the front end is robust enough to handle the load.
Should be plenty stout enough for the bucket capacity (300-ish) lbs. Loaders such as Johnson and Kwikway were available as an accessories on quite a few older garden tractors. This is a 72 JD 140. The biggest downside was the potential need to upgrade spindles as some newer models had 3/4" spindles. Mine is older and has 1" spindles.

Fun project for sure. Looks nice. It's hard to tell just from photos but I'd be curious about balance. I'm thinking you'd better pack on a nice seven course meal and maybe an extra dessert before the maiden full bucket lift voyage. 👍

Fun project for sure. Looks nice. It's hard to tell just from photos but I'd be curious about balance. I'm thinking you'd better pack on a nice seven course meal and maybe an extra dessert before the maiden full bucket lift voyage. 👍
Probably going to need more weight. I have around 90lbs on each wheel now. Don't want to count on my 180lbs to hold it down, it would tip over every time I grabbed a beer. That's a lot of tipping over😂

• Haha
Reactions: highanddryinco
Neat project. Years old I had a old Ariens GT tractor with a Johnson loader on it. That tractor had no power steering and was a bear to turn when you had the bucket full of dirt or rock. Wheels weights on the back weren't enough either. I put beet juice in the rear bar tires and added a bracket to the back to hang front end tractor weight on it too.

Neat project. Years old I had a old Ariens GT tractor with a Johnson loader on it. That tractor had no power steering and was a bear to turn when you had the bucket full of dirt or rock. Wheels weights on the back weren't enough either. I put beet juice in the rear bar tires and added a bracket to the back to hang front end tractor weight on it too.
Thats kind of what I'm thinking as well. My bucket has less capacity by about a 1/3 than the Johnson loaders. I plan to get a sleeve hitch and box blade as well plus hang at least 1 suitcase weight off the back.

I looked up some average weights of materials vs my bucket capacity. It's going to be pretty difficult to exceed 300lbs in the bucket unless it's wet concrete. With standard gravel averaging 2500-ish lbs a yard that will put me right at 300lbs in the bucket. With the existing wheel weights, fluid in tires, and the weight of the rear end, I'll probably need another 100lbs on the back. A sleeve hitch and grader may be around 50. So 1-2 suitcase weight (or a couple plates from my unused for 2 years gym) will probably be enough.

The problem will be how high you want to lift the load...

Other than getting things more organized, it's pretty well finished. Definitely need more weight in the trunk! At full rise I (185lbs) can hang off the bucket without tipping, but you can feel it's close. Had a few messy debacles, hence the fluid all over the floor. No instructions on the controller I bought so I ended up getting the in/out ports backwards. Locked up the cylinders, figured I air locked them so I started breaking fittings loose. Dumb moment for sure. It's a bit faster than I'd like but I can feather the controls and it's good. I might see about a flow control of some type. Also need to reduce the pressure. I can kill the motor when the cylinders dead head.

Other than getting things more organized, it's pretty well finished. Definitely need more weight in the trunk! At full rise I (185lbs) can hang off the bucket without tipping, but you can feel it's close. Had a few messy debacles, hence the fluid all over the floor. No instructions on the controller I bought so I ended up getting the in/out ports backwards. Locked up the cylinders, figured I air locked them so I started breaking fittings loose. Dumb moment for sure. It's a bit faster than I'd like but I can feather the controls and it's good. I might see about a flow control of some type. Also need to reduce the pressure. I can kill the motor when the cylinders dead head.

Reactions: mcdougy
Maybe a little fast, but you may want to run it to see if that is an issue or not. Agree with the relief pressure, killing the engine during operation is ungood.

Looks good. I would probably add a gauge so you can see your relief valve setting. Probably a little high if you can kill the engine. You may need some flow control but you may be able to feather the valve handle the speed to.

I backed off the pressure relief about a turn until it no longer killed the motor when it dead heads. That actually slowed down the cycle just enough to make me happy. Probably wait until this spring to get it outside and painted.