stinky insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex92

Jan 6, 2009
Gloucester, VA
I have an insert and it has a smell issue. I think the name brand is Sedley if that matters. Anyway I know that I have a stainless steel insulated liner, when I bought the house the chimney sweep I hired told me he had installed it.

The problem: It smells. The first time I start it up each year it is really strong...chemical smell. I usually open the windows and use some fans to air it out. The first time I used the stove ( I bought the house in 2002) it even smoked the room up a little. Well here I am 7 years later and it still reeks during the first burn and then the smell fades...but it is still there. My wife complains about it ....incessantly... and wants to get gas logs installed.

This year after getting the liner cleaned I cranked it up to 650 F for a couple of hours trying to burn off whatever is causing the smell. I only use the stove 2-3 days a week, depending on the weather. I only bother with it if the outdoor temp is going to be below 30.

So what can be the problem?

Check to make sure there is not a leak and creosote formed by the fan motor? Maybe that gets heated and the smell come out?

Possible one of 3 scenarios.
-unbaked paint- Run it very hot for very long- smells like a chemical
-creosote- fires not hot enough causing creosote issues.
-critter cooking- get rid of mice or varmint in flue area.- smells like cooking flesh and hair.
Its probably some of the first two. Run hotter fires for longer times with very dry wood. <20% moisture content.
If you need to eliminate the wood as a problem, get some bagged wood from home depot and try it out.

Since this happens mostly around the first burn of the year I think it could be something you or your wife is cleaning it with. Does it smell only when it gets hot 4-700*? Does it go away once it cools? Paint would take a long time to cure, but 8 + years is kinda pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.