Stock up now on Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
rowerwet said:
came home and found my pellets in the driveway, amazed that MWP ton is a bag and a half taller than a NEWP ton, you can see that the bags are thicker, I wonder what that means.

A. "Bags are sold by weight, not by volume. Some settling may occur during shipment and handling."
B. MWP are made closer, not as much settling.
C. MWP are a hardwood / softwood blend, NEWP are hardwood (if they are from the Jaffrey plant) Hardwood is denser than softwood, therefor less volume.
D. MWP are made from dirt, NEWP are made from gold.
E. Bigger is Better
F. The pellet gods are fickle
G. Your pellets are in the driveway and it rained, they swelled up

Take your pick

I figure it must be all the bark from grinding whole trees for MWP, funny the bags that are MWP don't look anything like last year. They just say "premium wood pellets" on the bag twice, have a picture of a pellet stove of some type (harmon?) and have in smaller print "made in Maine", no address on them anywhere, they do have a chart that shows the minerals like sodium etc. and claim 8200 btu/ lb. They also warn that they are not for human or animal consumption and for use in pellet burning stoves only.
BTU was saying that the size of a stack of pellets meant more about the quality also.
the brown (NEWP) pallet is still covered, the two courses that level it with the MWP came from another ton.

Attachments

• Stock up now on Pellets
    rsz_3rsz_1dscf1966.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 512
Had a bit of time today and went cruisin the web and found this link. Web cam of the volcano.

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-hvolsvelli/

She's still spewing the ash and causing trouble. Read a few stories and its still causing delays for some flights too!

Will this mess up the summer and cause us colder than normal weather? IDK but am not chancing anything. My stash is topped and may still stuff in more later on. Been cold and widy so the stove is back running again. Almost a week since last startup, But its just got too nippy in here. Plus its mother's day and I know the wife likes to be warm.

Anyone else still got your stove going?

We live within line of sight of Mt St Helens. 50 miles distant.

Back in 80 when that thing BLEW we had a ringside seat to watch the column of ash and stuff go skyward.

There was Lightning coming out of the cloud every few seconds or so

That was a spectacular Boom for sure

Snowy

jtakeman said:
........Been cold and widy so the stove is back running again. Almost a week since last startup, But its just got too nippy in here. Plus its mother's day and I know the wife likes to be warm.

Anyone else still got your stove going?

Yep, the stove was up & running this morning when I got up ( I still have it set to the stat). It's been running all day, and the forecast here is for below freezing temps tonight....I just dumped about 25 lbs of Rockies in the hopper....that should hold it 'til morning.

Yeah, got down to 30 degrees and worried about my grape arbor.... had to run the stove last night and probably tonight, too.

That volcanic ash will tip the temps downward and maybe a bit cooler in the coming winter ....depending if those other volcanoes blow.

More concerned with the economic collapse of the Europe. The central banks cannot bail out the US or Europe, absurd...they are too far gone. It's like have an alcoholic drink himself sober. I am VERY uncertain on the pellet supply going forward and will hedge by picking up a used wood stove. When everything goes to hell, at least I can cut down trees in the woods behind the homestead and stay warm in the winters ahead.

Weather here has warmed some.
Sunday was lovely and we had all the windows open during the day.
By eavening though it clouded up and rained a bit.

Today is supposed to be about 60 + and then warmer for the next few days.

Used the Quad last night for one short run and it came on this morning for a bit.

I hope summer finally gets here.

I like a nice warm fire but its time to give the stoves a rest.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.