Stock Up People !!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Taken from my oil supplier about 15 minutes ago

Delivery Quantity(GAL)​
Price/GAL($)​
25.0 - 49.9​
$6.519​
50.0 - 74.9​
$5.959​
75.0 - 99.9​
$5.769​
100.0 - 149.9​
$5.619​
150.0 - 199.9​
$5.569​
200.0 - 299.9​
$5.519​
300.0 - 399.9​
$5.499​
400.0 - 499.9​
$5.479​
500.0 - 899.9​
$5.459​
900.0 - 2999.9​
$5.449​
IMPORTANT PRICING INFORMATION:

Just ordered another 2 cord!

Screw this!

Reactions: vinny11950
3 weeks ago 4.49 per gallon. I ordered 100 gallons (for my hot water, first order since June 1 2021..) for 4.79 Monday. Mine now says 5.49 per gallon for 100 gallons.

Yuck, I fill my 250gal oil tank every other year...and guess what, this is my fill year lol, waiting for July when prices are usually historically low, will need approx 200gal and in my area thats the cut off for the price reduction.
As far as wood... I'm dont have to touch an axe or saw for another 5 years, but I will occasionally put-up wood just to keep up with the work.

I have two 275 gallon tanks with about 150 gallons I do not use except for backup. I have dosed it with Biobore because its sits for so long. I have been considering removing both and putting in a 200 gallon Roth type tank. The two tanks were useful long ago prior to me burning wood and the installation of thermal storage. It was handy as I would only need to fill them once a year.. GIven what is going on in the world my guess is I am glad I do not need to fill them this year.

It just occurred to me that on road diesel is cheaper than a 250gal fill up of heating oil. I wonder what kero is?

I've wondered about the same. Is that due to delivery cost?

Think I paid $5.50 a gallon right when everything went up. I have about 1/2 a tank left. I have been thinking about getting some yellow gas cans and just getting 20 gallons or so from the gas station here and there to carry me over.

When I was about ready to switch to NG I had to buy diesel and kero to get me past heating season.

It really shouldn’t be higher. There aren’t road taxes,

I know it's selfish of me, but I can't help rooting for it to rise. The higher that price goes, the quicker my woodstove/heatpump conversion pays for itself.

Any one checked the price of eggs;) it doubled here las week. It’s all going up.

My neighbor is 89yrs old and grew up as a poor farm kid in the depression era, then went through wwII rationing, he says you don't know what poor is unless you lived through the times him and his siblings went through. Every time he hears me outside working he'll come out and if I'm splitting he'll always comment about worth, "you can tell a mans worth by the size of his wood pile"

This brings up another discussion. Why, as a country, are we not doing everything possible to deliver cheap, clean burning , small footpirnt NATURAL GAS into as many areas as humanly possible????

It uses the lowest amount of minerals to produce as ANY energy source ....green or not.....available today.

This brings up another discussion. Why, as a country, are we not doing everything possible to deliver cheap, clean burning , small footpirnt NATURAL GAS into as many areas as humanly possible????

It uses the lowest amount of minerals to produce as ANY energy source ....green or not.....available today.
Because that would reduce profits for oil and gas companies.

And again that claim simply is not true.

And again that claim simply is not true.
absolutely true.
if not , what uses less minerals to produce?

1651272253832.png

Last edited:
My parents' house had a 1500 gallon oil tank. We don't own it anymore, but I sure do hope the new owners filled that vessel back in December, before the prices really rocketed up.

Infrastructure is not profitable. Capitalism has built the greatest society(ies) on earth, but it's piss poor at social infrastructure.

True, but I think that's only part of the equation. Oil companies be damned, if someone could be making money at it, you'd see it happen.

My parents' house had a 1500 gallon oil tank. We don't own it anymore, but I sure do hope the new owners filled that vessel back in December, before the prices really rocketed up.

Infrastructure is not profitable. Capitalism has built the greatest society(ies) on earth, but it's piss poor at social infrastructure.

True, but I think that's only part of the equation. Oil companies be damned, if someone could be making money at it, you'd see it happen.
unless big green energy with big government backing wants only so called "green " energy to succeed.

Yes that was my point. If it was profitable it would be done

Reactions: Ashful
unless big green energy with big government backing wants only so called "green " energy to succeed.
If there was money to be made it would be done.

absolutely true.
if not , what uses less minerals to produce?

View attachment 295184

That chart says it is referring to "building energy machines" that really has very little to do with minerals consumed to heat a home. Or the amount of energy produced over the lifetime of that machine.

Last edited:
And for the record I have no issue at all with natural gas. I think it is a great fuel to get us through until alternative options are more viable. We should without a doubt be working towards phasing out fossil fuels. But we aren't there yet.

I'm thinking about putting the 13 back into use, at least part time. Firewood is still low here, cut/split/delivered. $300 for 2 semi seasoned cord.

Also thinking about adding polyglycol to the OHW baseboard pipes for insurance. Thoughts on that?