Stock Up People !!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Show me one place where all energy needs are being met by wind and solar at a 20% rate. It sure as heck won't work where I live. not to mention the obscene amount of non sustainable natural resources it will gobble up.
No one ever said just wind and solar.

And I love how you skip over the fact that in general alternative options use natural resources only when the device is constructed. Fossil fuels use them the whole time. But I guess that part doesn't count??

Who decides the "truth"?....yours or mine. How many ways can you twist a simple word yet alone a statistic?

One thing is for sure, we are ALL being manipulated and perhaps that is a flag we could unite behind.
The truth is the truth yes it can be manipulated but that doesn't change the actual truth.

Have no problem with that...makes sense 100%...but that is not what this "ministry of truth" intends to do (despite their claims) and anybody that thinks it is...boy do I have a real estate deal for you!
Again why does politics have to be part of the discussion? Both sides lie and pick which facts to present to support their argument while calling the other side liars

No one ever said just wind and solar.

And I love how you skip over the fact that in general alternative options use natural resources only when the device is constructed. Fossil fuels use them the whole time. But I guess that part doesn't count??
Nothing ends with the construction of wind and solar. The maintenance and then recycling of the used up units make them an overall loser as an energy producer.

Let alone what are 150 bald eagles worth.....I heard $8,000,000 when the turbines chop them up. What a conundrum for the earth savers.

Reactions: woodey
Nothing ends with the construction of wind and solar. The maintenance and then recycling of the used up units make them an overall loser as an energy producer.

Let alone what are 150 bald eagles worth.....I heard $8,000,000 when the turbines chop them up. What a conundrum for the earth savers.
Sources???

back to the topic: today it's $6.14999 per gallon heating oil here...
Gasoline is $4.19 when I filled up the wife's car (I did not check diesel...)

I was pissed that I had to pay $4.71 a few days after it was $4.49 - I'd been waiting for it to go down at the time as gasoline was going down thru $4 then. But oil kept going up. So I bit the bullet.
2 days later it was $4.99, then 2 days later $5.19 or so and now it's this.

Glad I did not wait any longer, or we would not have had hot water anymore (because I won't be paying $6.15 for a gallon, unless it's permanent like this, and then I'll buy a heat pump water heater).

Checked: Diesel is $6.50 a gallon...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: snobuilder
back to the topic: today it's $6.14999 per gallon heating oil here...
Gasoline is $4.19 when I filled up the wife's car (I did not check diesel...)

I was pissed that I had to pay $4.71 a few days after it was $4.49 - I'd been waiting for it to go down at the time as gasoline was going down thru $4 then. But oil kept going up. So I bit the bullet.
2 days later it was $4.99, then 2 days later $5.19 or so and now it's this.

Glad I did not wait any longer, or we would not have had hot water anymore (because I won't be paying $6.15 for a gallon, unless it's permanent like this, and then I'll buy a heat pump water heater).

Checked: Diesel is $6.50 a gallon...
I'll be filling up my tractor and 5 gallon diesel cans tomorrow morning. Going to fill up the car and all of my gas cans as well before it gets expensive. I can use a gallon a day using the sawmill. It's high now, but I don't expect it to go down before it goes up again. I wish I had filled everything up a week or two ago at $5/gal for diesel!

Reactions: stoveliker
I do the same; we get a discount from "points" on our groceries, and that is valid up to 20 gallons. My wife's car takes about 12, so I take some cans with me and fill those, for the lawn mower (again; used last week the first time this year), blower, weed whacker etc, and a gallon here and there for my sipping tiny car that does not commute anymore.

Snobuilder-----I absolutely agree with your information that you presented. All I have to say is that bh would not know truth partial or whole if it bite him in the ---. clancey
Based upon what data? Just because you want to believe something doesn't change the actual data or facts.

I'll be filling up my tractor and 5 gallon diesel cans tomorrow morning. Going to fill up the car and all of my gas cans as well before it gets expensive. I can use a gallon a day using the sawmill. It's high now, but I don't expect it to go down before it goes up again. I wish I had filled everything up a week or two ago at $5/gal for diesel!
Mowing the lawn will not be cheap this year. Then again, my Exxon stock is up 49.9% over this date last year. ;lol

I wonder how this will affect boating this summer, both recreational and commercial fishing. A displacement hull sucks a lot of fuel, pushing thru the water.

Mowing the lawn will not be cheap this year. Then again, my Exxon stock is up 49.9% over this date last year. ;lol

I wonder how this will affect boating this summer, both recreational and commercial fishing. A displacement hull sucks a lot of fuel, pushing thru the water.
We live on a secondary road that connects to "the" main road through our region and already we have heard way less 1/2 ton+ sized pickup trucks since gas went over $4/gal. It used to be near constant mud tires, loud exhaust, etc. but now it's just when they are going to work in the morning (mostly fishermen this time of year).

Snobuilder-----I absolutely agree with your information that you presented. All I have to say is that bh would not know truth partial or whole if it bite him in the ---. clancey
Are you a climate scientist?

Here are s a good read.

Demand is high. Supply of Low sulfur, crude and final products are tight. Desulfurization is expensive. Really no historical analog to current price spread gas vs diesel or crude vs diesel. Does it sound familiar?

Here are s a good read.

Demand is high. Supply of Low sulfur, crude and final products are tight. Desulfurization is expensive. Really no historical analog to current price spread gas vs diesel or crude vs diesel. Does it sound familiar?

Unfortunately, Tier 4 equipment (even my tractor) specifies "Low Sulfur Diesel Only", right on the gas door.

Why isn't there an all out effort to bring plentiful, clean burning natural gas to every community possible?. Take all the wasted and worthless GREEN energy tax dollars and redirect it to NG delivery.

I have really good news for you. Natural gas energy IS already delivered to nearly every house in the country. Its called electricity. Lots of folks in the US (like 50%) use it for heat, not to mention AC in the summertime (which reduces the amount that would otherwise need to be stored).

In most cases NG -> electricity -> heat pump -> BTUs is more efficient than direct combustion.

The US is already the world leader, by far, in natgas production:

All that gas is a low-value byproduct of our massive oil production, and as the oil wells deplete, the amount of gas goes up, so we are awash in the stuff. But then it is simply more profitable to turn it into electricity and sell that to people than to lay a leaky pipe into their homes so they can burn it a few months a year.

That's called capitalism. Love it or leave it.

In my case, the gas main ends 50' from my driveway, and I was quoted $20,000 to get a nat gas hookup. This was the last time HHO hit $5/gal (in 2007). I opted to get a heat pump and burn electrons instead of a gas hookup.

If you want cheap fossil heat, have you looked at getting a coal stove?

I have really good news for you. Natural gas energy IS already delivered to nearly every house in the country. Its called electricity. Lots of folks in the US (like 50%) use it for heat, not to mention AC in the summertime (which reduces the amount that would otherwise need to be stored).

In most cases NG -> electricity -> heat pump -> BTUs is more efficient than direct combustion.

All that gas is a low-value byproduct of our massive oil production, and as the oil wells deplete, the amount of gas goes up, so we are awash in the stuff. But then it is simply more profitable to turn it into electricity and sell that to people than to lay a leaky pipe into their homes so they can burn it a few months a year.

In my case, the gas main ends 50' from my driveway, and I was quoted $20,000 to get a nat gas hookup. This was the last time HHO hit $5/gal (in 2007). I opted to get a heat pump and burn electrons instead of a gas hookup.

If coal didn't have the toxic heavy metal or sulfuric emissions I wouldn't mind having a coal stove myself.

Reactions: stoveliker
Before placing local blame, look at the international picture and the influence of OPEC+. (The plus is Russia)

Reactions: woodgeek

Ummm, Natural gas is also up almost 200% in the last year and a half..
That’s why electric rates keep growing big time !!

Yes, but that was not the point made. The point was that electricity is made from NG, is delivered everywhere, and it's often more efficient using it with a heat pump than direct burning of NG.
I.e. it's more heat out of the same (indeed more expensive these days) NG volume.

(@woodgeek, I presume this efficiency is due to the COP>1 of a heatpump beating the losses in the NG->electricity conversion and electric transport losses?)