Stolen Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Therivermonster

Burning Hunk
Dec 10, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I'm just getting into the wood burning scene, and feeling very attached to the piles of wood that I have worked so hard for. I have started to wonder lately with this cold snap on the east side of the country lately, have any of you went out to the stacks to find some of your hard earned, well seasoned firewood missing/stolen?

I had some come up missing last summer, not much, 3 or 4 good arm loads, just enough to notice off of the one stack that was about 90% finished.

The neighbor lady stopped me when mowing the grass a few days later, and offered to pay for what her husband stole ;lol They are good people, and I've offered him firewood many times. Didn't care for the fact that he took it, as I would have rather given it to him (and would have given him considerably more) but since they really are great neighbors, it certainly wasn't something to lose any sleep over or waste time being concerned with.

I'm going to move this thread over to the wood shed.

pen

I don't think any was actually stolen, but last week someone knocked over one of my stacked pallets and kind of threw the wood around so I know it didn't just fall over. I have my suspicions on who it was, but whatever.

A few years back at a friends hunting camp, I asked why everybody had their wood ends painted ? To seal out moisture? Is this something new? He said , some low lifes would steal wood and having it painted you could tell it was not cut recently , it cut down on quite a bit of theft.

yep, my folks have a camp up in maine that is left empty for the winter. If there is any wood left its all stolen come next spring...... miserable people. Last year someone stove the silverware (note, the camp is about as basic as possible, the most expensive thing in it is a microwave from about 1982...)....

My wood never gets stolen...anymore. :)

My wood never gets stolen...anymore. :)

Why not anymore? Did you install 10' chain link with razor wire around your stacks? Oh, and spot lights and seismic alarms?

I'd like to remind everyone that what you write on the internet can be used against you in a court of law. _g

Also, your statute of limitations may vary :oops:

Reactions: Ashful
Why not anymore? Did you install 10' chain link with razor wire around your stacks? Oh, and spot lights and seismic alarms?

It was a joke. See my signature line. :) No worries, Pen.

Reactions: pen
It was a joke. See my signature line. :) No worries, Pen.

Ha ha. I didn't see that part of your sig line, but it is very fitting for this thread.

Any more good stories of firewood being stolen out there?

Ha ha. I didn't see that part of your sig line, but it is very fitting for this thread.

Any more good stories of firewood being stolen out there?

I actually starting using that signature line after having a cord of 3 year old oak/hickory stolen from my 12 acre wood lot which is about 7 miles from
my house. In addition to stealing the wood, they stole a wheel off of my old pick-up truck that I kept on the property. I got rid of the pickup truck
and no longer store wood on the woodlot. It gets brought back to my house property for seasoning. I do have a big dog here who has a very scary
bark. We are off from the main road and rarely get visitors.

I try and stack where it is difficult to get to. I tell my neighbors to help themselves, and they watch when I'm not there.

I had some stolen when I lived in a townhouse. I had a small stack out back, probably about a quarter of cord. A cold spell hit and half my wood disappeared one day while I was at work. After that, I hung a sign on pile that said "If you can read this, you're in my scope". Never had a problem again.

I find the shepherds do a good job of protecting their pile of chew toys.

a few years ago a man down on his luck needed cord wood. he had a 4 wheeler so I loaned him my trailer and let him have the wood he needed for the winter. through circumstances he was not able to hold onto his home. he called me and let me know my trailer was in his yard. and how thankful he was for the generosity. I went to get my trailer and hmm it wasn't there. I waited for a year and half and I found it on my other neighbors lawn hooked to his tractor.

I find the shepherds do a good job of protecting their pile of chew toys.

a few years ago a man down on his luck needed cord wood. he had a 4 wheeler so I loaned him my trailer and let him have the wood he needed for the winter. through circumstances he was not able to hold onto his home. he called me and let me know my trailer was in his yard. and how thankful he was for the generosity. I went to get my trailer and hmm it wasn't there. I waited for a year and half and I found it on my other neighbors lawn hooked to his tractor.

Well did you go get it or what?

wlrp4lR

Well did you go get it or what?
Yes, I did get the trailer back!
I just love the story. I help someone down on their luck and someone else steals from them because they are down. everything runs full circle, so the say!

We have 2 boxers that are friendly unless I tell them not to be. And they are very fast runners. Been more than 1 rabbit in pieces on the front walkway ;hm

There is an ugly rumor around my area about two lovely spaniels that hang out with a really mean crotchety old guy. You can trust the spaniels , but not the old guy.

Not yet, I currently have a friendly retired neighbor who sits in his window all day and night. Nothing escapes his gaze and my woodshed is directly in his line of site.
I actually think he counts the splits every time I retrieve some.

Also the man who lives behind me is the "crazy loner" of the town and no one dares disturb him.
He is a nice enough guy but I sometimes build up his evil reputation to keep people away from my property. We don't even get trick or treaters.

Not yet, I currently have a friendly retired neighbor who sits in his window all day and night. Nothing escapes his gaze and my woodshed is directly in his line of site.
I actually think he counts the splits every time I retrieve some.

Also the man who lives behind me is the "crazy loner" of the town and no one dares disturb him.
He is a nice enough guy but I sometimes build up his evil reputation to keep people away from my property. We don't even get trick or treaters.

You should take a beer over to him some day and shoot the chit. You never know what kind of people you are gonna meet.

Reactions: Jon1270
You should take a beer over to him some day and shoot the chit. You never know what kind of people you are gonna meet.

I do, bring some of my wife's pumpkin cookies as well. That is why he is now nice to me and calls me if he ever sees anything suspicious.

Reactions: mikey517
I do, bring some of my wife's pumpkin cookies as well. That is why he is now nice to me and calls me if he ever sees anything suspicious.

Nice. It's good to have good neighbors. I need to take some cookies to my neighbors hoping that this will keep them from stealing my firewood. :)

Reactions: pen and chazcarr
Status
Not open for further replies.