Stom lost power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ablejoy

Feeling the Heat
Lost power for 8 hrs last night silly me no backup and down to 22 degree lucky only 62 degree in the house. Going to get a generator so we have backup power at least for the stove. Fifty mile winds with rain and snow even thunder and lighting lucky its over heading east now.

Starting to batten down the hatches here. Storm expected to hit tonight. Sounds like the winds are going to be quite the problem. Hard to believe it was almost 60 °F last week.

smalltown said:
Starting to batten down the hatches here. Storm expected to hit tonight. Sounds like the winds are going to be quite the problem. Hard to believe it was almost 60 °F last week.

Yep, storm advisory for me here too....3-6" + ice (that's not nice!) Get the genny's fueled & ready!

Perdicting rain for out our way. My kid will be bummed, He would love a day off from school to hang out with dad(who's out on a furlough this week). Mom will not let him take a day off from school either. >:-(

Bet he is praying from some snow tonight. :lol:

jtakeman said:
Perdicting rain for out our way. My kid will be bummed, He would love a day off from school to hang out with dad(who's out on a furlough this week). Mom will not let him take a day off from school either. >:-(

Your son might get his wish Jay. Weatherman is calling for 80% chance of "wintry mix" and 1-3" snow by tomorrow morning in your area. Tell him to cross his fingers. :lol:

macman said:
smalltown said:

Yep, storm advisory for me here too....3-6" + ice (that's not nice!) Get the genny's fueled & ready!

Similar here in NH. 6-10" in my area before changeover. Add winds to the rain/ice soaked snow, not nice at all.

Coming up on the Ice Storm aniversary too !!!! I hope that we did not piss off mother nature again :gulp:

macman said:
jtakeman said:

Your son might get his wish Jay. Weatherman is calling for 80% chance of "wintry mix" and 1-3" snow by tomorrow morning in your area. Tell him to cross his fingers. :lol:

Funny how the weather man can just change when he wants to. Morning forcast was rain. Noon forcast is for snow changing to sleet by mid day. Hey the kid will be a happy one tomorrow! ;-)

AZ Pellet Guy said:
Lost power for 8 hrs last night silly me no backup and down to 22 degree lucky only 62 degree in the house. Going to get a generator so we have backup power at least for the stove. Fifty mile winds with rain and snow even thunder and lighting lucky its over heading east now.

Had to bring our generator to the shop (needed a new low oil sensor) just after Thanksgiving, just called and it's ready. We have 30-35 mph winds and 4-8 inches of snow with ice coming in tonight. Taking off to pick it up.

Zap

jtakeman said:
macman said:
jtakeman said:

Funny how the weather man can just change when he wants to. Morning forcast was rain. Noon forcast is for snow changing to sleet by mid day. Hey the kid will be a happy one tomorrow! ;-)

Hey maybe we can get a stimulous package that includes snow days for work.... If no school in the town/city you work in, no work either :)

Damn, just remembered that Obama is from Chicago and he says that they never cancel school. Ah well get the snow boots ready

It is Tuesday afternoon and snowing. They are calling for 9" by morning with an additional 3" on Wed. Thursday a high of 7* and wind gusts to 40mph......ye hah, let the winter begin.......

Snow, wind, rain, sleet, and ice here.

I'm not too worried about power but I am hoping the snow thrower cooperates and starts.

mainegeek said:
Snow, wind, rain, sleet, and ice here.

I'm not too worried about power but I am hoping the snow thrower cooperates and starts.

Just moved mine to the garage from the shed. Seemed like everything worked, hope it does tomorrow. Gotta remember to get shear bolts

It looks we'll get the whole gamut. Snow changing to rain and lot's of wind. No matter, we're ready. Just gassed the snow blower and the motorhome's full with 75 gallons of fuel for the genny. Did a cleaning on the stove yesterday and I'm saving the bag of Cubex for the really cold weather this weekend.
Bring it on :)

Chan

........went down to -22 °C (-8 °F ) sounds worse at -22...... either way it's COLD!!! .......stove just about running continuously now on low without being told to shut by the thermostat. Our trout lake out front froze over completely yesterday and on average stays solid for 150 days approx. . (thats also when the igloo melts.... ha!) ...cc :cheese:

macman said:
jtakeman said:

His wish was granted. 3" of the fluffy stuff by 5:00 AM. (Just wait till I tell him to go out and shovel :p ). Its 8:00 Am and we have almost 6". But they only forcasted 4-6" for my area?

YUK!

Snow is building up fast,atleast 6" already I can only imagine what it's gonna be like when I get home after the rain starts falling,gonna be like shoveling cement. :grrr:

I got about 8" here before it turned over to rain. School cancelled.

Looked outside earlier tonight and saw a glaze on some of the trees. Immediately started having flash backs to a year ago, the Great '08 New England Ice Storm. It will be a year on Friday/Saturday.

We only had about 4" here this morning then went to rain. Supposed to get 1-4 FEET of lake effect north of us on the Tug this weekend. May have to take a trip up to camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.