stone over existing vents?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Heid and Zach

Nov 12, 2018
Martinez, CA
Hello, My Wife and I are trying to figureout the best approach on remodeling the existing wood burning fireplace. Can i remove and go over the top and bottom vents with the concrete backerboard? We are going to stone out the entire wall and i wanted to bring the stone in so there is less black metal, and get rid of the vents... is that possible?

I really need some help as i want to be safe on this project of course.

It is gas hook up as pictured and we are going to put in a gas log setup, although fake look.

The existing vented wood burning fireplace:
IMG_0685.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0694.jpg

Above are the vents that i want to go over with the stone, if possible. here is the look we'd like, pictured below

...this would be a gas burning fire place, using the existing chimney structure to exhaust fumes See how there's no vents on the bottom or top.
IMG_0713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, My Wife and I are trying to figureout the best approach on remodeling the existing wood burning fireplace. Can i remove and go over the top and bottom vents with the concrete backerboard? We are going to stone out the entire wall and i wanted to bring the stone in so there is less black metal, and get rid of the vents... is that possible?

I really need some help as i want to be safe on this project of course.

It is gas hook up as pictured and we are going to put in a gas log setup, although fake look.

The existing vented wood burning fireplace:
View attachment 233083
No you cannot cover or modify any of those vents in any way at all. The picture you posted of a fireplace without vents is a masonry fireplace. Yours is not

So, what would you suggest we do?

Option 1: work with the existing fireplace box?
Option 2 or 3?
You options are
1. work with it as is without covering or modifying anything in that metal area.

2. Tear it all out and replace with a gas fireplace.

3. Tear it all out and have a masonry fireplace built.

Before making any decisions you should have the entire setup inspected fully to make sure it is installed correctly and in good condition. If it isnt that could influence your decision.

Reactions: Heid and Zach
...option 1 = cheap
the other options are probably 2-5k$ id imagine!

Well, glad i asked! I just wish i could some how decreased those vent sizes. they are about 6 inches in height and not ideal. but happy wife happy life!!! haha

thanks

...option 1 = cheap
the other options are probably 2-5k$ id imagine!

Well, glad i asked! I just wish i could some how decreased those vent sizes. they are about 6 inches in height and not ideal. but happy wife happy life!!! haha

thanks
Option 2 may be as low as $1500. But probably more like $2500.

Option 3 is more like $20000

Reactions: Heid and Zach