Stone surround help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arhuranna

Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2010
Western Kansas
image.jpeg
Starting work on my first fireplace and am looking for tutorials on building a raised stone hearth. I have salvaged enough limestone form an old house for the base but need advice on how to start. My plan after framing is to attach hardie board to my subfloor then mortar the stone block to that. Advice would be great. I've included a pic of the stone home we're salvaging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you tell us more about the project? Maybe shoot us a picture of the fireplace location.Is this just a hearth extension or the full fireplace? A full fireplace will need a better base than a subfloor. It will need a full masonry support structure with a substantial base foundation to carry the weight.

https://brick.com/scratch-built-masonry-fireplaces