Framing for stacked stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Krsmith42

Apr 30, 2023
Knoxville
Looking for some advice here. I may have gotten ahead of myself. I have a Majestic MBU36 insert that has been converted to gas. I was hoping to bring the wood framing out and wrap stacked stone around to create a thicker looking fireplace. See picture. What I neglected to consider is if having the wood protruding is a code problem. I do plan to wrap in cement board and stone of course if that matters. The wood framing also does not extend over the metal face of the insert, just up next to it. Any advice is appreciated!
07A5C322-37A2-4E08-A54A-51F588143910.jpeg

Looks like an issue. Wrapping it with cement board won't change that. What does the manual say? That has the final word.

I don't know how much of the surround is covered by wood, but the statement - 'only non-combustible material can be applied as facing to the surround' sums it up.