Stop Splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
With the load of logs that I bucked and split plus everything I had in the woods we should have forty face cord stacked before fall, my question is if I keep cutting should I split it or leave it in rounds, last year (our first year burning) we burned 14 face cord.

The wood thats down is Cherry,Hard Maple,Beech and softwood.

zap

We were up at the camp this weekend for the first time since I bucked a few cord last labor day weekend. I wish those rounds had been split before yesterday. That said, I am sure they will dry and burn just fine.

Split it...but at a slower pace now that you're ahead. Enjoy life.

When I was hand splitting, I always found it easier to split fresh cut wood. If I wasn't going to split it right away, I'd buck them to double length and make the final cut when I was ready to split (on the fresh cut side).

Now that I have a splitter, it doesn't matter. I prefer to run the splitter when it isn't extremely hot or cold.

I would keep splitting until you have 42 face cords 3 years ahead then leave them in the rounds.

smokinjay said:
I would keep splitting until you have 42 face cords 3 years ahead then leave them in the rounds.

My estimate of how much wood after adding up this morning is 42 f/c. 20 f/c stacked after tonight, 9 f/c left stacked from last year, 9 f/c estimate (load of logs from the winter) and 4 f/c up top. I do have 2-3 f/c of basswood that I'm burning this year thats not in the 42 f/c so I guess it's time to split some kindling.

zap

savageactor7 said:
Split it...but at a slower pace now that you're ahead. Enjoy life.

This.
Now that you've gotten yourself ahead of things, you can kick it down a notch or two. That's where I'm at, but it took me 3.5 years to get to this point.
Go fishing or something. You've earned it. Or, if you don't have ( I can't remember) a woodshed, build one.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

My estimate of how much wood after adding up this morning is 42 f/c. 20 f/c stacked after tonight, 9 f/c left stacked from last year, 9 f/c estimate (load of logs from the winter) and 4 f/c up top. I do have 2-3 f/c of basswood that I'm burning this year thats not in the 42 f/c so I guess it's time to split some kindling.

zap

Yes sir find something else to do for awhile, or stack in the rounds save for later. May be have a big 3 facecord bonfire party with PIC"S lol.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Yes sir find something else to do for awhile, or stack in the rounds save for later. May be have a big 3 facecord bonfire party with PIC"S lol.

Been real dry up hear the water in the brook is down to about last August levels, I'll hold off on the fires.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Been real dry up hear the water in the brook is down to about last August levels, I'll hold off on the fires.

zap

Are rivers are so full of water I had to break out the kayaks and camping gear it was a great trip more back paddleing then anything and that when you get the best water. Little muddy but a blast.

PapaDave said:
Same here Zap. I've only had 2 fires this year, and then ONLY after a good soaking rain. Oh, and little wind.

Hi 80's all week with little rain, the St.Lawrence River was down over a foot.

Zap

PapaDave said:
Zap, I have to say, regarding the title ?, .....BLASPHEMY!!
Slow down? Sure. But stop? Man, what were you THINKING?? :ahhh:

All of the wood except for 9 f/c is wood thats down on our property, just don't want it to rot. I can't stop the sickness has set in! :coolgrin:

Zap

I can't stop myself.

No matter what if I have logs I gotta' buck 'em

If I have rounds, I gotta' split 'em

It's an addiction.

When I decide I have more than I need I sell some and buy more cuttin' and splittin' stuff! :)

peterc38 said:
I can't stop myself.

No matter what if I have logs I gotta' buck 'em

If I have rounds, I gotta' split 'em

It's an addiction.

When I decide I have more than I need I sell some and buy more cuttin' and splittin' stuff! :)
It never ends!

zap

I like to split rather than leave in rounds. It splits better and as long as you keep the top of the pile covered and the wood is off the ground, you will be fine.

I'm the same way, I've got several cords stacked on my property, I live in a populated area. The neighbor lady came over the other day and asked if I was getting ready for the end of the world or something... I keep all my wood split and covered on the top, never had any rot after many years. I just can't take it, seeing rounds that need splitting is like my wife seeing dirt in the house, she just has to clean it!

I am in about the same position. My second year of burning and I went crazy on sawing and splitting and probably have around 12 full cords cut and stacked, I have a couple of huge oak limbs down I need to get cut up so probably a few more cords. I know if have too much i can sell some, in fact a local supply yard has offered to send over dump trucks and I can load them with my Bobcat. I just hate to get rid of any of it, you kind of get attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.