Storage Noob here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 30, 2021
CT
Hey guys, so in anticipation of our stove in a few months, we had purchased another rack (I bought the first one back in 2017, thinking we would be getting one then .

I though this would be a good place to put them, I those are rocks under the racks. The area does not get flooded with water. I’m also thinking about elevating a bit with brick pavers. But the real question is, what are your thought on the location?

Don’t ask me, because I don’t know South and East from North and West in my backyard. Looking for ideas, the yard is sloped, so not too many places to put it. Help and thank you!!

2E9139FD-9607-487B-B88D-82F647C43405.jpeg

How much (cords) do expect to burn per year?

Based on the shadow I am guessing that might be the north side of the fence, which will also act as a wind block. Wind and sun are what help dry out the woodpile quickest, so not ideal, but sometimes one has to work with what is at hand.

Maybe you should ask someone what directions your home and garden are facing? Simple thing to find out ask your neighbor.? My front door going out faces East so my yard is West facing and you can figure out the rest of your home by just those two points... I need a place to store wood too and I am working on it for now and I am a brand new stove person that does not know much in the way of wood stoves but I am willing to learn...I am going to place my wood pile facing south because I get a real nice east wind in the morning then at night it reverses to the west way and we know we want to keep our wood dry.. Right now I have a wooden upside down table with left over lumber and other wood pieces with a tarp over it half way so that it gets the air...lol lol....Best wishes getting and installing your stove. clancey

No compass? Not even in the car?
Sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Southern exposures typically are full sun all day so what is the sunny room in the house?

If you are looking out the sunny room north is your back. East is your left and west is your right.

Reactions: Z33
If I was in your situation with limited space I would put it against the fence as you have it for convenience over max drying. Like begreen said...your looking out your window towards the south. I'm going to guess sw just by the time of your post. Shadows are always on the north side in the northern hemisphere.

Based on the shadow I am guessing that might be the north side of the fence, which will also act as a wind block. Wind and sun are what help dry out the woodpile quickest, so not ideal, but sometimes one has to work with what is at hand.
It's NOT ideal, but, our whole backyard is fenced and sloped...(which is an annoyance). We don't have that much of an option...I just wanted to make sure that it receives the best sun possible.

Maybe you should ask someone what directions your home and garden are facing? Simple thing to find out ask your neighbor.? My front door going out faces East so my yard is West facing and you can figure out the rest of your home by just those two points... I need a place to store wood too and I am working on it for now and I am a brand new stove person that does not know much in the way of wood stoves but I am willing to learn...I am going to place my wood pile facing south because I get a real nice east wind in the morning then at night it reverses to the west way and we know we want to keep our wood dry.. Right now I have a wooden upside down table with left over lumber and other wood pieces with a tarp over it half way so that it gets the air...lol lol....Best wishes getting and installing your stove. clancey
I'll probably go out with my iphone compass and check the coordinates. It's so new to me, but I enjoy learning, and am delving into lots of research.

I may have found another spot. It’s in a SW (used compass)corner, right along the stone wall.

Attachments

• 41DCEF53-FB0D-41B4-B5D8-E86DD06FF8A9.jpeg
    41DCEF53-FB0D-41B4-B5D8-E86DD06FF8A9.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 150
I think you are going to be just fine and don't forget to make it easy for yourself or love one to carry the wood into the house --make it convenient too . Pretty green grass you have where I live everything is still half brown because of the dryness...You will be thinking about your stove all year after you get you wood pile fixed...lol lol--welcome to the stove world...clancey

Reactions: Shrewboy
I think you are going to be just fine and don't forget to make it easy for yourself or love one to carry the wood into the house --make it convenient too . Pretty green grass you have where I live everything is still half brown because of the dryness...You will be thinking about your stove all year after you get you wood pile fixed...lol lol--welcome to the stove world...clancey
Thanks Clancey, we are excited. I’m sure the whole family will chip in to carry, especially our little guy.

That's wonderful and when you decide to get a stove I can send you some different pictures of stoves from the net--not that I can suggest any of them --just pictures to look at because I am new too...lol lol You get that little one working...lol clancey

Get at least a cord of maple or ash delivered now. Split and stack it off the ground in anticipation of the stoves arrival. Probably won't be seasoned but its the best you can do now.

Get at least a cord of maple or ash delivered now. Split and stack it off the ground in anticipation of the stoves arrival. Probably won't be seasoned but its the best you can do now.
We’re looking at firewood now for the Winter. Now is the best time to get it.

That's wonderful and when you decide to get a stove I can send you some different pictures of stoves from the net--not that I can suggest any of them --just pictures to look at because I am new too...lol lol You get that little one working...lol clancey
We’ve already chose the one we want and we should have it delivered and installed by July. Theo whole country has gone mad on wood burning stoves

Get your wood now.

We’re looking at firewood now for the Winter. Now is the best time to get it.

That may be too late already unless you're getting pine, cherry, sassafras. Even that is cutting it close. Most other wood needs 2 years to dry. Especially with modern (EPA certified) stoves to burn well.

If there is no other way (noting that 99 percent of firewood sales advertising "seasoned wood" is NOT seasoned enough), split the pieces smaller if they are 4" or thicker, stack them and cover them as soon as possible.

If he gets soft maple, standing dead ash, or cherry up now in a good spot, single row, split 3-4" or smaller and it should be fine for this year.

I'd strongly consider grabbing some soft wood for shoulder season though if you're able since you're a little behind...just in case. That or some truly kiln dried hard wood. Being in New England tree companies practically give away pine for free. I can get 5 cords delivered for $100 next day. Obviously we live in an area with such an abundance of hardwood youll use that moving forward but in a pinch there's nothing better than soft wood. Seasons fast and burns short but hot.

Reactions: EbS-P
Not sure what part of CT you're in but you should haver no problem finding firewood, you may be able to get truly seasoned wood, there are a couple guys in CT that sell seasoned wood, you'll have to pay a bit more but worth it for first year, other thing you can do is get a pallet of compressed logs (NEIL's,Eco Bricks, etc..) and mix them with your wood, I did that one year with good results.

Reactions: EbS-P