Storage shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Anyone have recommendations on a decent 10x10 storage shed at a reasonable price? Would prefer to find something in canada. I was looking at the vinyl/plastic style but cannot find one for a good price in that size range. I keep falling back to the old tin style that are pretty cheap but all the review are bad as they are not designed for Canadian winters i would have to reinforce it. Not a big deal as i have a lift of rough cut 2x6 so i could cut down and structure the walls and rood for the snow load. Right now im using a shelter logic portable shelter but im pretty sure it will not last another winter. I need to be able to fit 2 full size atv and a youth atv plus the push mower in their. I was going to build one but just dont have the time to build and finish the outside..

If you're up for building one I built a 20x24 shed out of pallets for about $3k.

Used pressure treated 2x6s for the ground contact. Then 2ft 2x4s to connect the pallets together for the first "layer" staggered the second the same way and lag bolted 4x4s to the inner wall. Built 2x4 trusses and finished with OSB and metal roofing. Added vinyl siding and you'd never be able to tell. Whole thing only took about a week.

I'll try to get some pics to upload later.

Reactions: SpaceBus
IMG_20150927_150740.jpg
IMG_20151005_141547.jpg
IMG_20151008_170342.jpg
IMG_20151011_180403.jpg
IMG_20151026_115948.jpg

interesting idea with the pallets...

i have looked at the duramax buildings and they want way to much when you get up to the 10x10 or bigger size

im now leaning back towards building it as it would be around $1000 in supplies... compared to the shed kit the hardware store wants where they give you a materials list and building plans for $2000... heck of a mark up.... If i build it going with 10x14 just for a little extra storage

I got one of those prefab metal ones a few years ago, an 8x10 on sale from Sears when they were still a thing. Red with white roof, think they sold a ton of them, I still see some in peoples yards. Was kind of a pain to put together, so many little nuts & bolts. Also was a pain to get the foundation set up, getting patio stones all levelled up etc..

I put up some 2x4 framing inside it, to act as roof support plus also to build shelving off of. Didn't take a whole lot. The thing is still solid as day 1. I did have to paint the roof last year, rust was starting to be too noticeable. I got a gallon of rust paint & a 4" roller on an extension for that. Was kind of a sloppy job, but can't see rust any more.

I now need to come up with something to park a ride-on in at the cottage. That might be a build from scratch job, won't need to be very big. Unless I spy something on sale for cheap-ish.

ya im leaning more towards a metal unit.. i really just dont feel like spending my evenings and weekends framing in a shed and painting it... Especially when i have a bad shoulder and i will be in pain for weeks/months after if i do..
Sorta looking at this one if the size is right
or this

if the price is not to outrageous

The good part is if you wait long enough shelter logic keeps sending me discount codes..LOL im up to 20% off

You look at this type of structure at all? http://www.easybuildstructures.ca/steel-carports.php
Pretty affordable, even with the optional enclosed sides/ends.
Takes them a couple hours to unload/assemble on your site.
Or some places will let you DIY assemble them too...go together pretty quick.

Reactions: moresnow
darn wish i would have realized you could get a side kit for those..

After finding all the ones i wanted are not available anywhere i went out and picked up all the studding to start the framing.. All complete ill be around the 1500 mark.. Was right around 9 for all the lumber not including the tin for the roof..

im going to be painting it for this year and probably side it in the next year or so... i did a quick look at the hardware store and all the primer i seen was for interior? Do you not need to prime when using exterior paint? I know iv ran into issues before using a interior primer and exterior paint and it not sticking to the primer.

I know Sherwin Williams has multiple types of exterior primers. Never used those but their Woodscapes solid stain is a good product.

I would go to a local paint shop and ask them, avoid the big box stores imo, you may get a incorrect answer and you will be left with a mess. Kinda like buying a wood stove from Costco vs a stove shop and looking to ask questions..... Dulux, B.M., Sherwin, etc will all give you solid advice and stand behind what they say.