Storage tank got here today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
Well my tank arrived today. It is a big, heavy thing to move around without a piece of equipment. 36" diameter and 9 feet long, on a pallet. I had to move it about thirty five feet to get it out of the way of the garage until I am ready to move it into the basement. So, I used the old "Give me a long enough lever and I'll move the world." principle. Is that how that went? Who was it that said that anyway? You guys remember? First I tried to find some pipe that was big enough to roll the pallet across. Didn't have any big enough. Needed something 4-6" in diameter. Next I went and looked through some downed pine that I dropped last year to make way for a fence. Found one the perfect size, 5" across and nice and straight. I fired up the Husqvarna 350 and limbed up and cut 3 sections that were about four feet long. Used a long 2x4 and some short 6x6 blocking (always keep some blocking around) to lift one end at a time. Slowly but surely I got the whole thing up on the three pine rollers and rolled it across the gravel parking lot while moving one roller from back to front. I am not sure what the tank weighs, but it is heavy. It has more plumbing holes than I thought it did. That is a good thing I guess. I will try to get some pictures and dimensions and post them so you folks can give me some plumbing advice. I know we talked about the positive and negatives of verticle and horizontal, but the more I look at it I think I am going to go horizontally. Might not be as good for water movement, but will be close to the boiler this way. Looks like a little over 3 feet away and running parralel to the side of it. Now, do you think it would be better up high horizontally, or down low near the floor? Either way I am going to have to put it on some kind of rack to hold it. The positive thing about it being down next to the floor is I could use the space above it better than the space below it if it were up high. After I insulate it I will enclose it with a frame and plywood. What do you think?

If you would have taken the tank off the pallet you would have had a "wheel" & one person should have been able to easily roll it. Randy

I thought about doing that but there is an oil filled pressure gauge coming out of one of the plumbing "ports". 90 degrees from that there is two ports that have piping coming out of them which look like they could be used just the way they are. So I thought I would leave everything the way it is and see what the piping guys want to use before I got the wrenches out and started taking everything off of it. Now when I go to bring it through the window in the cellar I will probably have to take them off anyway. :lol: Oh well, it is out of the way for now. Are you done burning for the season yet? Do you heat your DHW with wood in the summertime?

Gasifier said:
I thought about doing that but there is an oil filled pressure gauge coming out of one of the plumbing "ports". 90 degrees from that there is two ports that have piping coming out of them which look like they could be used just the way they are. So I thought I would leave everything the way it is and see what the piping guys want to use before I got the wrenches out and started taking everything off of it. Now when I go to bring it through the window in the cellar I will probably have to take them off anyway. :lol: Oh well, it is out of the way for now. Are you done burning for the season yet? Do you heat your DHW with wood in the summertime?
I'm done burning & just using an electric oil filled radiator for heat now, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.