Storage Tank Liner option

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhjohn

Apr 2, 2008
Seacoast, NH
with shipping, I am looking at paying almost 800 just for EPDM liners, not to mention the hassle of putting them in. Once I buy the insulation, I'm well over $1000.

So here is an idea that I think will make for a far superior unpressurized tank, be much easier to install, and cost about the same.

I'm considering the following:

Build the sides and install the top on most of the tank (only leaving a large enough hole to get in and out of). Then spray the entire tank (including most of the top) with Tiger Foam - http://www.tigerfoam.com/products.php. Then paint the entire tank with a liquid EPDM liner - https://pro61.cedant.com/buyliquidroofs/order.html. Based on the technical data provided this should work very well.

Any thoughts? The sides of my tank are wood and concrete.

The foam will have all kinds of nooks and crannies, not like a spray paint job. Also check max sustainable temp rating of the Tiger foam or any spray foam. Might work though I like the spray in bedliner I read about on another thread. Wondering if that might be the ticket. Then insulate outside of tank.
Will

I have been examining the options also and a poured concrete tank of
1500 gallons (5'wx10'lx4'h) could be coated with epoxy swimming pool paint
at a paint cost of aprox $1.50 sq ft or $255. Also for water proofing
built in showers the tilers use paintable membrane such as RedGuard,
which could be used on the seams in addition to the epoxy paint.

I'm not sure if my basement floor could support the weight of
such a tank @ 6 tons or 250 lbs per sq ft. just for the water alone.

But the basic costs are attractive enough..would be interested
in anyones opinion of this option..

MM

I looked over the liquid roof site and noted that the application is for horizontal surfaces and should be applied one coat at about 20 mils thick. How you could apply it on a high vertical surface without sagging especially on a rough sprayed foam surface would be a challenge. It also says it is "highly resistant" to water infiltration. To me that is a big difference from "water proof" and at a relatively high pressure to expected rainfall. You have to assume pressurized hot water is going to find a way out. Unless the storage tank is already considered water tight I wouldn't consider using applied materials such as this. Not long after it starts leaking I think anyone would realize how cheap the liner would have been.

Sorry to be the bad guy.

A concrete floor should be able to stand the weight of just about any water tank. Typical concrete has a compressive strength of about 3000 psi.

Am I missing somthing? I was going to build a 7' round 1000 gallon tank and I figured I would need a 15' x 15' piece of EPDM. That goes for $95 + shipping at www.justliners.com I understand a building supply place will be even cheaper but I haven't found one yet. Is there some other expense that I've over looked?

Thanks

Greg H

I got a 15 x 20 epdm at justliners. I think it was less than 200 with shipping. But I dont think the price is the biggest negative for epdm. I think the bunching in the corners is the big problem with epdm. If I had not already bought mine I would do a lot of research on other options, maybe a spray truck bed liner, pool paint, or liquid epdm.

For the foam, I have not run the numbers in awhile, but I recall Tiger foam being pretty expensive. I looked into using it for my roof insulation and it turned out to be about the same price as having it professionally done. I think the polyiso boards may be price competitive.

Greg H - I don't think your missing anything, except maybe an underlay liner and a liner for the top. I have a very large tank that will need a 20x30 liner. The liner is only 224, but the shipping is 275 because it has to come on a commercial carrier.

I do not have the option of insulating outside the tank. My option problem is that my wall tanks are not all perfectly even so I'm thinking the spray foam would take care of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.