Storage tank questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainsider

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Central Vermont
I'm in the early stages of installing a Tarm solo 60 with 2 500 gallon LP tanks for storage. What is better? horizontal or vertical for the tanks? I have room for either. I have stress skin panels to enclose the tanks. Would it add to the efficiency of the system to add sand or gravel or some sort of heat sink material rather than loose cellulose? What is the best plumbing layout for 2 500 gallon tanks?
Thanks for any input:) I've learned alot from browsing this forum for the last couple of months.

mountainsider said:
I'm in the early stages of installing a Tarm solo 60 with 2 500 gallon LP tanks for storage. What is better? horizontal or vertical for the tanks? I have room for either. I have stress skin panels to enclose the tanks. Would it add to the efficiency of the system to add sand or gravel or some sort of heat sink material rather than loose cellulose? What is the best plumbing layout for 2 500 gallon tanks?
Thanks for any input:) I've learned alot from browsing this forum for the last couple of months.

Welcome to the forum and to the boiler room. Another Vermonter - pretty remarkable.

I'd expect that you could get a bit more stratification on end, IF you can get pipe fittings that allow adding and removing water from the top and bottom in that orientation. I'd plumb them in series, top to bottom.

Sand and gravel would probably cost you more in conducted heat loss than you'd gain in heat storage.

Yeah I searched heat sink and found another post (from you?) concerning the heat transfer capabilities of water. I'll over think anything...never hurts ...thanks...I'm trying to learn the stratification importance now and where to tap the tanks to get the best performance out of the storage.

I'm have two 250 gal. tank stacked one on top of the other. I have been up and running for 6 weeks making hot water and some heat. I used the holes that were in the tanks, hot in the top and cold out the bottom. Come over and check it out. Very simple set up.

Attachments

• CIMG0767_edited.JPG
    CIMG0767_edited.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 305
Great info thanx. It looks like vertically in sequence is the way to go.
Now I have to find a welder that will install fittings in the ends of the tanks.
I'd appreciate any schematics, drawings, or photos explaining the best way to handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.