Store bought hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkinnel

Sep 21, 2011
central ct
I placed a 48" by 48" hearth pad on a hard wood floor. The pad is tile on a board that's trimmed in metal. The thing rocks like a seesaw. Is there any way to mount it to the floor that's not permanent? Maybe a clip to hold the edge down.

Sounds like either there is something under it that it is rocking on, or the floor is not level. If it's the latter case, you may need to shim the pad to stop the rocking.

Welcome to the forum tkinnel.

If the pad is at fault, I'd return it and ask for a different one. Other than that, shimming is about the best you can do. Can you lay a straight edge on it to see if it is the pad that is causing the rocking?

I highly doubt that it will rock after you sit a few hundred pounds of wood stove on it. That should flatten it right out.

If the weight of the stove doesn't correct the rocking and it's ever so slight (either due to the home's floor or the hearth itself) you could easily correct the rocking with a shim . . . heck, I've got a dime I think under my woodstove as a shim.

I like the idea of finding where the problem is with a long straight-edge or level. We have an old house and there are a couple areas where the floor is not level and I have to shim a corner of the end table.

Usually a good hearth pad is dead flat unless stored improperly. My concern with letting the stove weight force it to conform is that it will crack the grout or worse yet, a tile. If it does turn out to be the floor, shim at multiple locations to fully support the pad.

Try placing it in another location just to see if it rocks still. I ended up having to build my hearth and now the only level thing in my old house is the pad! :)

firefighterjake said:
If the weight of the stove doesn't correct the rocking and it's ever so slight (either due to the home's floor or the hearth itself) you could easily correct the rocking with a shim . . . heck, I've got a dime I think under my woodstove as a shim.

dime under mine too, back right leg :zip:

BrotherBart said:
I highly doubt that it will rock after you sit a few hundred pounds of wood stove on it. That should flatten it right out.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.