storing kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csmith

Jul 3, 2006
Aye guys,

got a log splitter and split about 2 cords of green wood and ended up with 4 trash bags of kindling.

Came up with the bright idea to use chicken wire to make a kindling burrito to store it, then kept going and started drawing up plans for a crab cage/crate.

Instead of getting the wire cutters out, would a simple trash can with the lid slightly ajar suffice for storing/seasoning kindling?

would the same apply for 2 - 3 inch cookies as well?

thanks for humoring my questions

I'm using a pallet with 1x2 at each corner then wrapping plastic mech fencing around it to make a box. That way it still gets airflow.

I don't think the trash can would get good air flow and may actually trap moisture. If you want to try the can, I would drill some drain holes in the bottom and cut or drill some openings in the sides for air to flow through.

I use an old crate from a bay window. It's basically a pallet with some sides that are constructed much like a pallet, with open spaces between the boards. I took the front and top off of the crate and put an oversized piece of plywood over the top for a roof. Last fall I had some shingles left over and put those on the plywood roof for a bit of extra protection. seems to work well.

I've used trash cans for/bark/kindling the bad part is the lid blows off and rain gets in. Then you have to pour the water out and start again.

Skip the trash can idea. It just makes the stuff more damp than it might otherwise have been.

The idea of a mesh cage/bin thing sounds best of all, especially if it can be stored in a covered environment.

We mostly use the wooden boxes that cases of produce sometimes come in. They are made of very, very thin boards with spaces between them, more space if it was a box for ears of corn than if for green beans. Some have cardboard on the ends but most are just wooden slats. They have wire holding them together and to latch them closed. We don't always cover them up 'outside' but we always keep a few on the front porch so that there are dry ones. We keep one box of kindling on a bench near the stove. When it goes empty, we just take it outside and bring in a full one. It is a little messy, because bark and bits of wood drop through the openings, but compared to the mess of carrying all the other wood in it doesn't make much difference. A plus with our system is that we don't need to rehandle the kindling ever, just move boxes around. When trimming branches or splitting wood we put the boxes on the ground and just fling the kindling in as it accumulates.

Status
Not open for further replies.