Storing log lengths for extended periods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2Orion

Apr 2, 2009
St. Louis Mo
How should I store my log length wood before I split it?

When we moved to our new house 2 years ago I found a score of firewood. The previous owners had somebody take down (6) 36"+ white oaks for lumber. The loggers stiffed them on the first load and never returned for the rest. Since then mother nature has provided several more red oak that were afflicted with some sort of fungus. Then I took down 3 hickory to make room for my new garage and 3 more red oak that had the same fungus and were next to the house. And it looks like the fungus is threatening a few more.

I have ~8 cords of white oak ready that I started splitting the fall after we moved in. I should have plenty seasoned for this year and next if I continue to burn at the same rate. I would like to split more, but I would have to stack it in the woods because I dont have the space to store it close to the house. I have more wood than I can split and stack already on the ground.
So I would like to stack the log lengths somewhere that is accessible with the four wheeler or my truck, then buck and move the rounds to split and stack where I store it ( which is a limited space) and move the splits as little as possible.

I plan to move the logs with a TL150 trackloader that I have access to.

So how should I store 8' lengths of red and white oak to limit loss to rot and other factors? Or should I just not worry about it?

I just got a few deliveries of 20 footers and need to get them off the ground as well. I have a few concrete parking lot stops laying around that I can use to keep two of the logs off the ground then I'll run the rest of the logs across the top of those two.

You can always lay two logs down as a sacrificial row, and stack ontop of them.

northernontario said:

X2. Try to use something cheap like poplar or pine if you can. I would also suggest you use something like
2x4's or limbs to keep the logs themselves separated from each other to promote airflow and reduce
rot losses.

northernontario said:

+1 . . . good for storage and as an added benefit when you get ready to buck up the wood it will be off the ground so you should be able to keep your chain from accidentally sawing into the dirt/rocks/etc.

We're always a few years ahead on logs. Don't cover the logs and it's best if they get morning sun to dry off quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.