Storing pellets outdoors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

douggunn

Nov 28, 2023
Phoenixville, Pa
What are the pros and cons of storing a ton of pellets outside through the winter? 40 pound plastic bags, but not shrink wrapped, will sit on pallets on a wood deck.

I'd cover mine.

Mine are stored outdoors but out of the direct rain. No issues with it.

Mine are stored outdoors but out of the direct rain. No issues with it.
I store a pallet or two outside but mine are in a screened in porch. I did have an issue once with a few bags turning into sawdust but that was with a lot of precipitation that winter.

Yeah, forgot to say, but mine sit on pallets on the carport, it's outside ... but the roof don't leak. Long ago I'd put them in the basement, but that got old fast.

Kept ours outside under a couple layers of tarps first couple of years. No problems at all. Now keep them in one of those shed in a box.

sam

I stored 11 tons outside years back when there was a huge fire sale of pellets ((2016?). Some of them stayed out there 2 years. I did put them up on an extra pallet to keep them away from the ground (not a concern on your deck). A lot of those tons no longer had their original plastic bag over them (hand stacked), so I wrapped them with a tarp, bungee corded the tarp down, then added shrink wrap. I didn't have any issues at all. Picture is of 6 tons that were left out the second year - I had moved 5 tons into the basement and garage. Oh, and I added pieces of dunnage (and I think a half deflated basketball) on top to keep the snow / rain from puddling on the top (that is all the lumps on top). I think with just a ton, you could get away with a lot less protection.

6 tons of pellets wrapped in yard.jpg