Storing wood - does this sound OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Since I'm going to be storing wood out 2-3 years starting this year, I'm considering how to store it on my property.

I have a nice space under my deck to store current year's burning wood - it's raised patio stones and I can get 14-15 face cords under there (maybe less if I don't go quite so high). This is kinda like my version of a wood shed. It's not 100% covered as some water does get thru the deck boards, but is way better than totally open.

So, to store the next couple of years supply I was thinking of spreading some gravel on the ground, then using PT 2X4's to sit the wood on in 4-5 ft high stacks. I might built an "open" wood shed, but prolly not this year.

Given I need to store about 10 full cords (not including what will be under the deck), about how much area will I need?

Since 1 full cord is approx 32 square feet of ground space (at 4ft high) would it makes sense to have an area of approx 400 square feet (20 X 20) of gravel to allow for row spacing etc? Does it dry just as fast in a big square versus say long rows of 16" or 32" stacks?

It'll be stacked outside for 2 yrs, then moved down to the "shed" under the deck.

One other thing - we don't get termites, but we do get carpenter ants around here. Any suggestions on anything I can use on the deck (all cedar) to keep the carpenter ants away?

Attachments

• woodpile2v2.jpg
    woodpile2v2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 260
A little lattices work would clean it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.