1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Storing wood inside

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Chris611, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris611

Chris611 New Member

I am new to having a fireplace after purchasing a home with one installed. I purchased a truckload of mixed wood and have it stacked in the building out back behind the house. I would like to keep some of it up by the house, say enough for one evening of burning. (I don't heat with it, just use it for atmosphere; although the more I read on here, I may look into an insert). I though I read somewhere once that its not a good idea to store wood by the house due to possible bringing termites into the house. What do you guys think? I was thinking of putting a small pile just outside the walkout door with a tarp or I can put the small pile in the corner of the laundry room.(wife will love that).

Thanks
    Chris

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    It might depend on where you live, Chris. I live in northern New York State and have stored large amounts of firewood in the basements of various old, wood-frame houses and never had a problem. But I don't think termites are a big problem in this part of the country in any event.
  3. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    If the wood has seasoned outside for a while, there shouldn't be any threat of termites. Termites live in the ground, they only visit the wood during working hours. Then they return to the ground.
    I keep 1/2 a cord in the basement, about 2 weeks worth of burning here. It keeps it dry, and I don't have to go outside every other day to reload.

-- Mike
  4. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Chris,

Buying or building log rack will keep it off the ground and minimize bug issues. You will always have spiders and misc. bugs though so I would keep it outside by the door, maybe bring enough inside for that evening's fire.
  5. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    170 L plastic storage bin with lid at Walmart- about 9 buckswill hold enough wood to heat the house for 24 hours. should do you fine for a couple "mood fires".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.