Storing wood inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris611

Dec 8, 2005
I am new to having a fireplace after purchasing a home with one installed. I purchased a truckload of mixed wood and have it stacked in the building out back behind the house. I would like to keep some of it up by the house, say enough for one evening of burning. (I don't heat with it, just use it for atmosphere; although the more I read on here, I may look into an insert). I though I read somewhere once that its not a good idea to store wood by the house due to possible bringing termites into the house. What do you guys think? I was thinking of putting a small pile just outside the walkout door with a tarp or I can put the small pile in the corner of the laundry room.(wife will love that).

Thanks
Chris

It might depend on where you live, Chris. I live in northern New York State and have stored large amounts of firewood in the basements of various old, wood-frame houses and never had a problem. But I don't think termites are a big problem in this part of the country in any event.

If the wood has seasoned outside for a while, there shouldn't be any threat of termites. Termites live in the ground, they only visit the wood during working hours. Then they return to the ground.
I keep 1/2 a cord in the basement, about 2 weeks worth of burning here. It keeps it dry, and I don't have to go outside every other day to reload.

-- Mike

Chris,

Buying or building log rack will keep it off the ground and minimize bug issues. You will always have spiders and misc. bugs though so I would keep it outside by the door, maybe bring enough inside for that evening's fire.

170 L plastic storage bin with lid at Walmart- about 9 buckswill hold enough wood to heat the house for 24 hours. should do you fine for a couple "mood fires".

Status
Not open for further replies.