Storm Collar Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greg1881

Mar 24, 2019
Montana
I bought a home two years ago. The stove pipe on the outside roof is about 5.5ft high. The storm collar on the stove pipe is about one foot from the roof (side towards the roof edge) and on the backside about 4" from the roof. Last year the storm collar was completely bent into the stove pipe and touching the rubber boot. Thinking it was a cheap storm collar I replaced it. The same thing happen this last winter. I believe the snow load is pushing down on the storm collar. How high should a storm collar be from the roof on the side closest to the roof. Do I really need the storm collar, one guy said just leave it off.

Thanks Greg

The storm collar should be siliconed to the chimney at the point where the roof flashing cone ends.
AFIK, RUBBER should NOT be a part of that flashing due to Clearance to Combustibles guidelines
If you are having problems with snow, you should have a snow wedge installed to direct the
snow AWAY from your chimney. If you do NOT use a storm collar, you may possibly have some
water penetration thru the flashing

Metal roofs often use something resembling rubber or silicone for the actual roof penetration.

I used aluminuminized tape to secure the bottom of the storm collar. Not so much for snow, but I was getting water blown up it. The tape might stiffen it up against snow sliding into it.

I have never seen a storm collar used with a rubber boot. I would switch it out for real metal flashing.

Reactions: DAKSY