Storm collar question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 31, 2019
MD
Should my storm collar sit flush with the chase cover, as in the attached picture? Or, should I leave a small gap? I know I need to seal around the top of the collar where it meets the pipe, but if I also install it flush with the chase cover, would I also seal the bottom?

Thanks in advance! This forum has helped my tremendously with my installation!
IMG_20191126_100035.jpg

Second question... Since the highest firestop is 8-10 feet below the top of the chase, there is some side-to-side play with the chimney pipe where it protrudes from the chase cover. The opening in the chase cover is about an inch larger in diameter than the new pipe. Should I secure it with a strap or something below the storm collar?
IMG_20191126_100103.jpg

Should my storm collar sit flush with the chase cover, as in the attached picture? Or, should I leave a small gap? I know I need to seal around the top of the collar where it meets the pipe, but if I also install it flush with the chase cover, would I also seal the bottom?

Thanks in advance! This forum has helped my tremendously with my installation!View attachment 252192

In my opinion it should sit flush, having it sit high will be a cause for water leaks.

In my opinion it should sit flush, having it sit high will be a cause for water leaks.
I had to finish it before anyone replied, since rain was in the forecast. I ended up leaving a half inch gap between the collar and the chase cover. Why? Ikd, just seemed ok. Still seems highly unlikely water will be an issue.

I had to finish it before anyone replied, since rain was in the forecast. I ended up leaving a half inch gap between the collar and the chase cover. Why? Ikd, just seemed ok. Still seems highly unlikely water will be an issue.
Good choice. I usually leave 1/8 to 1/4" but 1/2 is just fine

Is you chimney crown cross braked? In other words, does it have diagonal creases that raise the center? Is so and even more if not it will pay to get up there an push the storm collar down snug. What's the advantage to having it up a half inch. It just makes it easier for water to get in?
Good choice. I usually leave 1/8 to 1/4" but 1/2 is just fine

Holler, why not just loosely snug it up, to leave a little room for expansion and contraction? I just replaced my crown, and pushed the storm collar down to just touch the crown. I made my crown with a cross brake so the center is about 1" taller than the edge, plus I made a 1" collar for the storm collar to ride over. Rain would literally have to build up 2" in order to run in. If that's the case I have bigger problems to worry about. Just curious, should I raise it a bit?

Is you chimney crown cross braked? In other words, does it have diagonal creases that raise the center? Is so and even more if not it will pay to get up there an push the storm collar down snug. What's the advantage to having it up a half inch. It just makes it easier for water to get in?

Holler, why not just loosely snug it up, to leave a little room for expansion and contraction? I just replaced my crown, and pushed the storm collar down to just touch the crown. I made my crown with a cross brake so the center is about 1" taller than the edge, plus I made a 1" collar for the storm collar to ride over. Rain would literally have to build up 2" in order to run in. If that's the case I have bigger problems to worry about. Just curious, should I raise it a bit?
I am sure it will be fine. I just prefer to leave a bit of space