Storm damage Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajreid

Nov 16, 2010
il
My neighbor has a 3 acre patch of storm damaged Locust with 75+ good logs in it. The tornado happened in 2003 but this stuff doesn't rot. Getting them out isn't easy and I wouldn't attempt it without a tractor and long chains. I cut one close to the trunk and it tested 19-21% with the moisture meter. Looks like I might need to get a couple chains for the saw.

2011-08-31_11-33-50_388w.jpg

Some danged good wood there!

The only problem with dragging them out is the dirt you get in the bark and your saw chain doesn't like that. You can wire brush or wash that area that you are to cut but it is time consuming. I still like to cut right in the woods and then haul them out.

Awesome score, AJ! I've got a small stash of BL for this year, and some standing dead trees to get...but nowhere near 75. That's a lotta good wood! With that low MC, if some is split and stacked now, you can have it really dry by Fall. Quick-drying stuff.

Backwoods Savage said:
The only problem with dragging them out is the dirt you get in the bark and your saw chain doesn't like that.
Bark? What bark? :lol: I would still brush 'em off, though...

Backwoods Savage said:

The only problem with dragging them out is the dirt you get in the bark and your saw chain doesn't like that. You can wire brush or wash that area that you are to cut but it is time consuming. I still like to cut right in the woods and then haul them out.

These things are dusty but no real clods of dirt stuck to them.Will a title dust hurt the chain? This stuff is hard and is rough on chains anyway.

This is the place I'm getting them out of. This is why I'm dragging them out to open field.

2011-08-31_11-23-19_679w.jpg

That sure looks like a BL thicket to me. :)

Nice score, get some new chains ready !!

Shawn

ajreid said:
Backwoods Savage said:

These things are dusty but no real clods of dirt stuck to them.Will a title dust hurt the chain? This stuff is hard and is rough on chains anyway.

It will still dull the chains but certainly not like big clods of dirt. Just put some of that dust in your hands and rub together. You can do it, just figure on sharpening the chain really often. For sure each tank of gas and sometimes maybe sooner. Have you seen the dray I built for hauling out logs?

Backwoods Savage said:
ajreid said:
Backwoods Savage said:

It will still dull the chains but certainly not like big clods of dirt. Just put some of that dust in your hands and rub together. You can do it, just figure on sharpening the chain really often. For sure each tank of gas and sometimes maybe sooner. Have you seen the dray I built for hauling out logs?

No what did you build for hauling them out?

That's a great score. I use a 3 pt winch on our tractor to pull out tangles like that. I cut alot of locust most that's standing dead or down. Great firewood. Most of our yard trees are locust. They make a mess during heavy winds or storms, also hard on tires.

ajreid said:
Backwoods Savage said:
ajreid said:
Backwoods Savage said:

No what did you build for hauling them out?

Dray-2.jpg

Haulinglogs4.jpg

Had to get a new can of spray chiggers and ticks are terrible. Cutting too early but you have to do it while you can.

Backwoods Savage said:
ajreid said:
It will still dull the chains but certainly not like big clods of dirt.
Dennis, I think your sandy soil would be harder on chain than the clay we have here. I still try to avoid the dirt, though...

Sand is always tough on things for sure but clay is not peach either.

btw, that dray cost me less than $10 to build. I had some old landscape timbers and a couple short pieces of 2 x 6. Just bought bolts. I also had some chain for pulling. Doesn't take long to build either.

what I really need is that machine in front of the logs

Status
Not open for further replies.