Stove Alarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search is your friend. WES999 has made up these. I'm going to merge this with a thread of the same title from a while back.

I've contemplated making up an flue temp monitoring system for my Fireview(s). My concern is not stove top temp but exceeding 800F flue temps on start up or reload and the possible chimney fire to follow. I bought the parts but have not fabbed it up yet. It consists of a digital temp controller with relay output, thermocouple, and a small air compressor that would be started when the set temperature is exceeded. The air compressor would actuate a small air cylinder connected to the fireview's air inlet control. The system would simply shut the air down to the minimum setting if the flue temp set point is exceeded. The whole point of the system is to protect the stove/chimney/house in the event that one forgets the stove is in start up or reload mode and the air inlet is farther open then normal running conditions.

I have considered adding something like this to my system, similar to what you are working on.

I do have the stove top monitor / alarm set up so the blower turns on high if the stove top exceeds 660*.
This will almost always cool down the stove enough to prevent over firing.

I think you should definitely have an audible alarm in addition to the air control closer.

I was considering something like a spring loaded dash pot that would be released by an electric solenoid to close down the air control. It may be a bit simpler than using an air compressor.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.