Stove blower question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I couldn't place my box fan at the top of the stairs as there was no outlet nearby and I feared tripping on the cord. So I placed the fan downstairs at the base of the stairs blowing towards the stove (which is in my downstairs family room). It really helps. Last evening I had my thermostat upstairs set on 66 and it consistently said it was 68. I think that is pretty good as my stairs take a turn at a landing downstairs, you turn, go down 2 more steps and go down a short hallway into my family room. (My fan is in the middle of that hallway aimed out into the family room.) There is no way that the insert is going to put me in the 70's upstairs, but it keeps the furnace from kicking in so often.

I designed my home with wood heat and airflow in mind. The open concept, central hallways, and open stair design all take natural convection in mind. Upstairs, the chase is vented and the vents were sized to allow just the right amount of heat to be reclaimed from the class A flue. The 8" duct blower in the crawlspace too was designed to draw warm air down and keep the floors warm enough to go barefoot. My wife would never tolerate fans strewn about like an appliance repair shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.