stove capacity comparison-theory: jotul 3cb, morso 2b classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I'm still looking to replace my Jotul 100 with something with a bit more capacity and discovered that the 3cb has a marginally larger firebox.

The Morso 2b classic has a firebox capacity about the same as the 3cb.

My question;

doesn't it stand to reason that, firebox capacities being equal, a long firebox design with "end" loading will hold more wood than a front load design because of the manner in which the splits are loaded?
In other words, it's a bit more difficult to utilize the full capacity of a front load stove without carefully stacking the splits so they won't tumble out. And of course, if you reload before the wood has burned down much you run into the tumbling ember escapade.

I've seen it mentioned that the 2b classic is a tiny stove but it should easily hold as much and probably more wood than the 3cb. Right?

Is anybody familiar with the actual burn time and performance of this model?

The Morso 7100 also has appeal as it's in the same price range as the 3cb yet has a larger firebox. Any thoughts on this one?

Go for a Castine F400 or a Morso 2110 so you aren't trying to stuff wood up against the secondaries.

BeGreen said:
Go for a Castine F400 or a Morso 2110 so you aren't trying to stuff wood up against the secondaries.

I'm heating 820 sq. ft. two floors, open floor plan and the the jotul 100 performs well except for need to frequently load on the coldest nights. I'm concerned that the f400 or 2110 would need to be choked down too much when the temps are in the 20's or above.

I am wondering about that myself. My insert takes 20" north/south, and 18" east/west. However, most of what I have read on this forum says that the longer burn is attained by loading east/west. and if I understand it correctly? it is because the air injection ports are at the front of the firebox, so the hotter and faster burn is at the front and works it way back.

Gonna try both ways this coming winter, but suspect that east/west is gonna give the longer burn specially if I carefully place the larger splits at the back to catch on later in the cycle. guess the trick will be to place them so they don`t roll towards the glass door? but rather start to burn down before the tumbling effect can happen.?

That is a small location and a tough one for long burns. Perhaps a small cat stove like the VC Intrepid or better yet a Woodstove Keystone or Palladian would give you the combo of long burns with a lower fire. If you don't want a cat, then perhaps a Pacific Energy T4?

BeGreen said:
That is a small location and a tough one for long burns. Perhaps a small cat stove like the VC Intrepid or better yet a Woodstove Keystone or Palladian would give you the combo of long burns with a lower fire. If you don't want a cat, then perhaps a Pacific Energy T4?

When I purchased the jotul 100 my choice was between the intrepid and the jotul. I leaned toward the jotul because of the simplicity and later saw the intrepid at work at my inlaws and was impressed. The top load option and ash drawer seemed to stretch the capabilities of such a small stove. Although my stove burns beautiful and has great heat output it is limited compared to the intrepid in terms of being able to easily operate such a small firebox 24/7.

That's why I'm looking at the 2b classic or even the 7100. Seems that the 2b won't over heat or need to be run too low in the warmer temps and easily has a larger capacity than the nordic 100. Also has a great ash removal feature. Just don't know about that heat exchanger.

dvellone said:
I'm concerned that the f400 or 2110 would need to be choked down too much when the temps are in the 20's or above.
The F400 and 2110 are not really in the same league. The 2110 is more comparable to the F3. Based on my past experience, in the Morso line I'd steer you toward the 7110 over the 2110.

precaud said:
dvellone said:
I'm concerned that the f400 or 2110 would need to be choked down too much when the temps are in the 20's or above.
The F400 and 2110 are not really in the same league. The 2110 is more comparable to the F3. Based on my past experience, in the Morso line I'd steer you toward the 7110 over the 2110.

I looked at the 2110 at the dealer and have to say that the double door design alone was enough to discourage me. The 7110 has a nice and simple design. Good sized firebox and attached handle. I'm not too crazy about the removable handle design of some of Morso's other models.

Perhaps also take a look at a Pacific Energy Alderlea T4. Smaller stove with a lot of cast iron mass.

Thanks for all the replies and good advice. Nice to get real experience advice here rather than "trying to make a sale" advice, or "buy my brand" advice.
It's a bit of a pain trying to get that size to give me an overnight burn as well as not heat me out of house and home when the temps are in the 30's. I love the n/s load design but will probably end up with the 7110 for the slightly larger firebox and, compared to similar sized stoves, the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.