stove cement or furnace cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2006
I have a VC resolute acclaim and am in the process of replacing the refractory package. When I got the old on out and vaccuumed up the inside of the stove i am noticing a-lot of stove cement that has chipped away from the interior seams at the back corners. I am planning on giving a fresh shot of cement while I have everything apart. My question is should I use stove cement or furnace cement? I had furnace cemented my joints to my stove pipe a year ago and the cement is not cracked or brittle where as when I tried it with stove cement it cracked within a week. These interior joints are not anything that I am going to want to take apart so would it be a more lasting fix to use the more permanent furnace cement?

That cement your seeing "Should" be just the overflow from the tongue and groove construction of the stove. They cement the channels and squish em together. A good way to see if the seams are leaking is with a smoke test or the ole flashlight test.

Now, I'll show my ignorance maybe...I always thought stove cement and gasket cement were the same stuff in different packages

Status
Not open for further replies.