Stove cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Finally got a break in the weather, so I took all the firebrick out of the stove to see how bad the weld in back is.
I should have vacuumed before I took that one, but I put those 2 firebrick in there last year because the weld is popped and the back of the stove is bowed out. I used some hightemp furnace cement last year too.

Attachments

• IMG_3650resize.jpg
    IMG_3650resize.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 227
From the underside, you can see last years attempt to fill the void. It's actually a refill of what the P/O did. He put in some rockwool to fill then gooped in the cement.
I broke out the flashlight and put it underneath. Not pretty. Well, pretty light show thru the weld break.
I know this probably isn't the best way to do this, but it's the best I can do right now.
This stuff sets up pretty quick, but I let it dry for several hours, then put a small kindling fire in to help cure it. Let that go out, stove cooled a little, then did it again.

Attachments

• IMG_3655resize.jpg
    IMG_3655resize.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 206
Got some new firebrick at TSC yesterday to put along the back wall. Buttered those, then put 'em in there after filling the broken weld seam.
The "dog house" in the middle has me a little confused. That channel goes all the way to the back wall, but there's a plate welded across the back of it. Completely blocks any air from getting to the back of the stove. Since no air gets back there, I figured I might as well put a firebrick on top of it. Might help to keep the back from opening any more.

Attachments

• IMG_3666resize.jpg
    IMG_3666resize.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 213
Any expansion and contraction will pop your fix. Is there any way a piece of angle iron could be welded in?

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Any expansion and contraction will pop your fix. Is there any way a piece of angle iron could be welded in?

Matt

I know. Not much of a fix, just a bandaid for now. Last years repair didn't completely hold. That's why I did this mid-season. I was having a tough time controlling the fire. Air leaks.
Need to burn this til spring. I plan to pull the stove, and check it out real well. I may try to weld some angle on there. If I keep it, it needs a paint job badly, and the stove pipe was put in upside down. There are signs of creo drips on the pipe.
P/O also went from a 6" stove collar right to a 6x8" increaser into 8" pipe. I think this was a replacement for something with an 8" collar. Stove sometimes is a little lazy, and I think it's at least partially due to the size of the flue. It's only 14-15' tall too.

Status
Not open for further replies.