Stove Decision and Placement Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

diesel59

Oct 19, 2015
Kentucky
Sorry up front for the wordy explanation...

My wife and I recently moved into a new-to-us two-story house with a basement that has approx 3900 sq ft. On the main level there are two gas fireplaces, one in the dining room and the other (ventless) in the single-story family room addition on the back of the house (approx 19' deep). The main level is fairly open, with a large open doorway from the foyer to the dining room and archways from the dining room and kitchen to the family room. All of the bedrooms that we will be using are on the second floor (above the dining room and kitchen) up the stairs from the foyer mentioned previously.

My plan is to remove the ventless fireplace, rock over the wall where the current hearth is and purchase a freestanding stove. In researching the seemingly endless brands and models of stoves, I came across some literature that says it is not recommended to place a chimney on the outside edge of a house that has multiple roof levels (two-story with single story rear addition in our case) due to possible draft issues. Dilemma #1 - can this be done and what should I plan for in doing so?

Dilemma #2 - what stove should we purchase to warm up the addition AND augment our propane heat?

We both work and stay very busy, so I will be burning at night when we get home from work and on the weekends as much as possible.

On our short list of stoves are the Alderlea T6, Quadrafire Isle Royale and Explorer III.

In the interest of not wasting anyone's time, I'm not a fan of the Blaze King line of stoves, so please don't suggest one to me. [emoji6]

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

fa7939ef3543a445c0aa868aedc64e72.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Dilemma #1 = a big, bad problem as the house will likely be a better chimney that the chimney unless you put a super tall chimney up that almost is as high as the houses peak

Might give what he says over on woodheat.org a read: http://woodheat.org/locating-chimney.html

(We are a bit prejudiced towards the PE stoves, due to their construction & simplicity, but the Quads are pretty good units too)

Get a stove with a large firebox 3cf or more. You can run the stack wherever you want. Straight up is best. Outside wall if inside an existing masonry chimney will need insulate liner. If doing a chase, then class A with insulated chase, make sure you observe clearances needed. Or go straight up from where the stove sits, and stove pipe to ceiling box, class a the rest of the way up. If you go through a second floor space, chase around that. You have options, just have to decide which is the best for you. Outside wall isn't a deal breaker, just have to plan accordingly, insulate, and it will draft fine, as long as you have the height required.

If you're just not liking BK's, they have some newer nicer looking models out now. If it isn't about the resistance to using a cat stove, than you can also look as Kuma, and several other larger cat stoves. There is also Woodstock & Hearthstone.

A larger firebox will get you the longest burn times, stretching plenty enough between the work schedule. That is, when you get tired of starting a cold stove each night after a long day at work. Coming home to a stove that still has heat coming out, or at least plenty of coals for a reload is a relief after a day at work.

PE stoves are fairly easy venting, so in your considerations, you may want to short list stoves that draft decent with minimal height of the stack. Do try and reach the needed stack height as much as possible & observe the 3-2-10 rule.

Dilemma #1 = a big, bad problem as the house will likely be a better chimney that the chimney unless you put a super tall chimney up that almost is as high as the houses peak

Might give what he says over on woodheat.org a read: http://woodheat.org/locating-chimney.html

(We are a bit prejudiced towards the PE stoves, due to their construction & simplicity, but the Quads are pretty good units too)
Thanks for the feedback, even though that's not what I wanted to hear. That being said, is it impossible or just expensive to remove the vented gas fireplace that is in the dining room and run a rear vented stove through the masonry chimney? With the gas fireplace that is currently there, what type of flue/chimney is most likely installed in the chase?

fbddd40cf3fdf844edd78f0ff1e83aa5.jpg

The old gas unit has to come out. And will need a new stack rated for wood. Everything that is for the gas is a no go for wood burning.

The old gas unit has to come out. And will need a new stack rated for wood. Everything that is for the gas is a no go for wood burning.
I realize the old gas unit would have to come out. Will that have to be what people generally refer to as a stainless liner to be installed or is that something else?

If I understand correctly......you want to put a free standing stove in the "addition" that is 19' deep? Your concerns are that because the "addition" is only single storey, and is attached to a 2 storey home? I think this should be a doable situation and fairly easy and relatively cheaper than messing with your gas fireplace. I hazard to guess that 2nd storey windows would create a taller chimney if they are present. The install experts should chime in.

If I understand correctly......you want to put a free standing stove in the "addition" that is 19' deep? Your concerns are that because the "addition" is only single storey, and is attached to a 2 storey home? I think this should be a doable situation and fairly easy and relatively cheaper than messing with your gas fireplace. I hazard to guess that 2nd storey windows would create a taller chimney if they are present. The install experts should chime in.
Yes, that is correct. I would rather have a free-standing as I think this would be the more economical/effective heating option. If I understand you correctly, I will need to take the chimney up past the 2nd story windows? Makes sense...

Yes, that is correct. I would rather have a free-standing as I think this would be the more economical/effective heating option. If I understand you correctly, I will need to take the chimney up past the 2nd story windows? Makes sense...

This is where the pro's will comment....in your ideal location, how far are you away from the 2nd storey wall? The full 17-19'? I'm sure there must be a distance that will come into effect from the windows

This is where the pro's will comment....in your ideal location, how far are you away from the 2nd storey wall? The full 17-19'? I'm sure there must be a distance that will come into effect from the windows
By the time I come off the back wall for necessary clearance, it will be right around 17' from the back of the 2nd-story wall.

I realize the old gas unit would have to come out. Will that have to be what people generally refer to as a stainless liner to be installed or is that something else?

The gas flue will most likely have to come out completely and be replaced with class A chimney to the ceiling level and then stove pipe between the chimney's ceiling support and the stove.

As BG described for the piping.
As far as how high you must be, you must be 3' higher than where the piping exits the roof, and 2' higher than any other surface (roof, main house, walls etc.) within a 10' span of the new stack. If you are greater than 10' away from the main house with the new pipe, then you only need to make sure you are 3' above where the pipe exits the roof.

Here is a diagram to help understand better. Courtesy of Webbie
https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/chimney-jpg.7192/

The gas flue will most likely have to come out completely and be replaced with class A chimney to the ceiling level and then stove pipe between the chimney's ceiling support and the stove.
@begreen - thanks for the info. That's what I figured.

@Hogwildz - I've been schooled by begreen once before on the 10-3-2 rule, but thank you, too :)

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Isle Royale today. After reassessing placement, we decided that it would be less impactful to our living area if we went with a corner placement, which also gives us reduced clearances. I'll keep everyone updated as things progress from purchase to install. Pretty excited, though!

Reactions: mcdougy