Stove Envy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MogollonMonster

Oct 13, 2009
Flagstaff Arizona
Sitting in the middle of a 24" blizzard through today and tomorrow ... and no stove in sight!! :roll:

Ordered a Jotul F 500 in ivory enamel on Oct 9th. On backorder and was supposed to be delivered this week (just a few days too late). Now with the blizzard there is 50-50 chance it will not show up by this weekend. :zip:

Tired of living vicariously through everyone's posts!! Here's what it looks like outside today.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 781
I tore out a -10% efficiency fireplace and built a new hearth. Took the better part of four weekends. Just missing one major component. Here's the before and after.

Attachments

• mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 756
Beautiful setting and nice work on the hearth.

Beautiful house and hearth both. Dang it. That thing needs a stove in it. Now!

Sweet. Nice work.

Nice house too. I think flagstaff just got on my list of maybe's when I finally put Jersey in my rearview for good. If only it was closer to the ocean.

Beautiful home & hearth! Hope your stove shows up soon. I'm surprised to see any healthy looking Pines still growing in Northern Arizona, I thought the beetles had pretty thoroughly ravished them. We thought quite seriously about retiring in Prescott a few years back, but came to Oregon instead, for a number of reasons. Stay warm with thoughts of the stove that Santa's gonna bring you! We're dealing with record low temps up here for this time of year. 'Bout 2" of snow on the ground, and today never got above ~5°F. Rick

Looks wonderful! Did you redo the entire hearth or is some of the original in there? Did you use any of the previously used stones? Either way, it's seamless. I see you even have the wood ready and waiting too! Hope you get it soon. It's going to be a beauty!

Sweet. Nice work. Nice house too. I think flagstaff just got on my list of maybe’s when I finally put Jersey in my rearview for good. If only it was closer to the ocean.

Yeah when your say you're from Arizona most folks think desert and cactus. Flagstaff's at 7000 ft and gets over 100 inches of snow every season. Smack dab in the middle of one of the world's largest ponderosa pine forests. It's nice that Phoenix is only an hour and a half drive south. It's usually a 20-25°F temperature difference. Nice to get out of the cold in December when it's in the 60's-70's in Phoenix. Unfortunately, San Diego's about six hour drive.

fossil said:
Beautiful home & hearth! Hope your stove shows up soon. I'm surprised to see any healthy looking Pines still growing in Northern Arizona, I thought the beetles had pretty thoroughly ravished them. We thought quite seriously about retiring in Prescott a few years back, but came to Oregon instead, for a number of reasons. Stay warm with thoughts of the stove that Santa's gonna bring you! We're dealing with record low temps up here for this time of year. 'Bout 2" of snow on the ground, and today never got above ~5°F. Rick

The beetles did some damage but mostly to trees on southern slopes. The trees are susceptible to the beetle's during drought and sun beats down mightily on the southern slopes. I've seen swaths of mountainsides laid bare. I think the pinon trees where hit harder than the ponderosas too. Stay warm.

tickbitty said:
Looks wonderful! Did you redo the entire hearth or is some of the original in there? Did you use any of the previously used stones? Either way, it's seamless. I see you even have the wood ready and waiting too! Hope you get it soon. It's going to be a beauty!

I tore out the entire lower section of the hearth (from the mantle down) but saved as many of the stones as possible. It is cultured stone so there was some breakage. My wife wanted to throttle me for all the dust I kicked up. I did some engineering to support the upper section until I could rebuild the lower section using steel framing. I mixed in two other colors to make things blend. Fun project, I hadn't done anything this extensive in 10 years when I added a 900 sqft addition to my old house.

Wow! Spectacular home and hearth. Homes and hearths like that just beg for a nice stove! :coolgrin:

Fantastic work..I love the hearth! I just got mines delivered today...but install wont be until next week. I cant friggin wait!!!

Selly

Nice place.
Nice job on the insert
Nice pile of fire wood on the deck :)
I guess if I was going to "snow bird" Flagstaff would not be a good choice :)

Pretty as a picture outside and in. It will look so much better with a warm stove on the hearth. Very nice job!

That's beautiful--remember to post finished pics!

S

Great house and hearth. We own a log cabin and something just wasn't right until we installed our Jotul Oslo.. it really makes the home.

Sharp looking home and a wicked nice looking hearth . . . but BB is right . . . it really does seem to be missing that key component.

I am curious about a few things if you don't mind indulging me.

Do you have any issues with water in Flagstaff . . . my wife's Uncle lives somewhere in AZ (can't remember where) and they have to have their water trucked in to the their home since they don't have access to a well or public water.

Also, how big is your house . . . I will not be able to retire for another 12 years, but I've started to compile a short list of plans/designs for a dream house and I really like the way your house looks from the front (just from the picture it incorporates a few things we want -- garage, single story and a front porch.)

I'm going to start a new thread called "Hearth Envy" ;) With the stove in, you'll be ready for the Jotul 2010 brochure. Fantastic work - great eye for proportion.

firefighterjake said:
Sharp looking home and a wicked nice looking hearth . . . but BB is right . . . it really does seem to be missing that key component.

I am curious about a few things if you don't mind indulging me.

Do you have any issues with water in Flagstaff . . . my wife's Uncle lives somewhere in AZ (can't remember where) and they have to have their water trucked in to the their home since they don't have access to a well or public water.

Also, how big is your house . . . I will not be able to retire for another 12 years, but I've started to compile a short list of plans/designs for a dream house and I really like the way your house looks from the front (just from the picture it incorporates a few things we want -- garage, single story and a front porch.)

Thanks for the comments.

The house is 3200 sq ft ... one great room/kitchen/dining about 1500 sq ft with a 18' cathedral ceiling. The stove will sit in this room. On the front left are two master bedrooms. On the right (behind the garage) is the primary master bedroom. There is an office just to the right of garage. My wife and I love the porches (front and back).

No problems with water (supplied by a private company that has tapped three wells in the area). I understand it can be hit or miss drilling your own well and quite costly. I think that's why some people haul their water when they are outside the city limits.

That's a fine rocker there too. Stickley? Stove + rocker + good book + family home but not disturbing me = blissful contentment. What the heck. I'll take two out of four any day.

Fine job.

I want to see the whole set up with the new Jotul!

I think they make handsome stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.