stove fan and dimmer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

greg66

Oct 21, 2017
g
this is for my parent stove, they have a zc bis stove.

they have quite a few complain about this stove and i would like to help them as much as i can.

their ''optional'' stove fan which was actually just unplugged, is switched at the wall and there is a temperature sensor below the stove.

but if you built a top down fire or any fire really, the temperature sensor will not trigger the fan for hours, lot of heat loss and the wall actually get warmer than they feel comfortable with.

so i bypassed the sensor , and just as expected it is now just switched at the wall, but it would be nice to be able to dim it, especially before going to bed without the fan going full blast all night long.

is there any reason stove fan would'nt be able to be dim?

thanks

Search for a rheostat. A regular incan dimmer will burn up the motor.

Its a bit confusing as to why, but an old fashioned rheostat is variable (albiet constant) resistive whereas a modern solid state dimmer works by stopping and starting the current at hyper intervals.

Its a bit confusing as to why, but an old fashioned rheostat is variable (albiet constant) resistive whereas a modern solid state dimmer works by stopping and starting the current at hyper intervals.

...but both not good for a fan motor. PWM motor controllers are common and cheap to build or buy.

when i look quickly on the net, there seem to be more info about arduino computer and robotic related to PWM, is there a more generic term i could use at the hardware shop than pulse witdh modulation wall switch?

Jesus, Lord Almighty! (as my grandfather often exclaimed)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6DAJHN/?tag=hearthamazon-20

i could eventually work with that but i was more looking for something wall mounted, to fit inside the electrical box.

the wall switch goes to a power oulet inside the chase of the zc stove and the fans are plugged there.

i live in quebec, and rheostat is also a french term but i never seen it in hardware shop, they are all ''dimmer'' to my unperfect understanding.

hence the question if a ceilling fan control would work for stove fan? and are these control pwm?

thanks

i could eventually work with that but i was more looking for something wall mounted, to fit inside the electrical box.

the wall switch goes to a power oulet inside the chase of the zc stove and the fans are plugged there.

i live in quebec, and rheostat is also a french term but i never seen it in hardware shop, they are all ''dimmer'' to my unperfect understanding.

hence the question if a ceilling fan control would work for stove fan? and are these control pwm?

thanks

Go back to that amazon page and scroll down. There are box mounted versions as well. Blessings! HAha

...but both not good for a fan motor. PWM motor controllers are common and cheap to build or buy.

You are thinking of cap start/run motors. These little fireplace fans can be stopped with your finger.

so a ceiling fan control would work?

Im saying yes, but most of those have click positions. The examples I showed you are infinite adjustable. Just remember to start the motor on the high position until up to speed then adjust down. Dont run them too slow it really isnt good for them. The blower wheel cools the motor. These controllers only work on shaded pole motors such as what you have.

Im saying yes, but most of those have click positions. The examples I showed you are infinite adjustable. Just remember to start the motor on the high position until up to speed then adjust down. Dont run them too slow it really isnt good for them. The blower wheel cools the motor. These controllers only work on shaded pole motors such as what you have.

thanks for the help i think i know what to look for now. i have read i bit about it yesterday i never tought i simple device could have so much behind .

on the wiki page of shaded pole motor, it say : Moreover, they are compatible with TRIAC-based variable-speed controls, which often are used with fans. @jetsam , just trying to inform myself , why do you think they would cook the fan?

Electrical engineering is a very complex subject. I dont think you need to learn all that. @jetsam was right except for this particular motor. Do you realize how many different motor types there are? Take a pic and show us your motor if you arent sure. Speed control of a SP motor is best accomplished through lowering the voltage. The rheostat is resistive and creates a voltage drop. Very simple. An Incandescent dimmer you buy in a hardware store will NOT suffice. They interrupt the current in pulses and that will burn up if you use those as @jetsam said.

Electrical engineering is a very complex subject. I dont think you need to learn all that. @jetsam was right except for this particular motor. Do you realize how many different motor types there are? Take a pic and show us your motor if you arent sure. Speed control of a SP motor is best accomplished through lowering the voltage. The rheostat is resistive and creates a voltage drop. Very simple. An Incandescent dimmer you buy in a hardware store will NOT suffice. They interrupt the current in pulses and that will burn up if you use those as @jetsam said.

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_152546.jpg
    IMG_20181018_152546.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 84
Yes sir. That is a SP motor. See the thin copper bars on each pole? You are good to go.