Stove finished being installed at 10:30 pm; now new questions.............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsie8

Hearth Supporter
Months of waiting, and kind of anti-climatic.
The guy did not show up till noon. Took him till 10:30 last night, to finish. He was on the roof in the rain, and dark, at 9:30 pm.
Had to remove the surround several times because he kept putting pieces on and then realizing when he would get several on, that one could not go on, without the one next to it, off.
Finally, I just picked up the manual myself and started reading it to him, outloud.
Anyway............ nice guy and I think he did a good job. Just slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Questions.....
1) Where the liner goes into the top of the insert; does that have to be sealed? How won't smoke seep out around it?
2) After he put the top plate on, he had to keep pulling the insert in and out, a ton of times, since he had to keep taking the surround on and off. He told me that the top plate was only held on with the silicone. I am worried that after pulling on the liner so many times, the silicone was pulled away, since it just was done. He did put of course, the wind cap on. Should I get up there and check?
3) He ended up cutting most of the back of the medal heatform/heatilator out with one of the tubes. He would not put a soft or hard block off plate in. After all the homework and deciding to put one in, he told me a soft one would just fall back down on the unit, and no one would do a hard one. So, I look thru the holes above it, and it just is vacant........ open to the flue around the liner. He did not put any of the insulation behind the surround since he said the rest was not sealed. Think that is ok?

Geee woodsie I dunno, I suppose you could ask your dealer to come out and inspect the installers work. I take your not confidant enough with the install to start a wood fire? You could light up a few sheets of newspapers just to check out the draft and be on the lookout for any smoke leakage.

I know many modifications are made by professional installers to get the job safely done since not all fireplaces are the same. If you have any friends/neighbors with inserts maybe that can stop over also ditto that if you live in a volunteer fire district...those guys would love to check it out and check you house layout too.

Status
Not open for further replies.