stove for corner installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent

Aug 8, 2012
northern Minnesota
Hey there-

Glad to find heath.com and the forum. I'm from northern Minnesota and a Pacific Energy Summit owner since around 2001. We use it as a primary heat source and supplement it with the furnace during the heart of winter. We have a large, multi-level, home that has had various additions going different directions over the years. There's a part of the house that is typically 10 degrees or more colder than the rest of the house, where the Summit heat doesn't reach. We're content at about 64 degrees in winter. So that means it's in the lower 50's in the cold part of the house.

With the price of electric heat and lp, we're considering purchasing another wood stove for that cold part of our home... which consists of about 800 sqf. There really isn't much option for installing it anywhere else but in a corner because of the size of the living room and layout.

All this to say, we are wondering if any of you know of a good stove that has great corner tolerances so we can tuck the stove in as close to the corner as possible? A higher BTU rated stove would be fine as the heat would travel upward into one of the additions and supplement what the Summit is producing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kent

Do you think that if you get that 800 sq. ft. up to temp that it will hold it for a while with the Summit carrying the load for the rest of the house?

Yes. I think it would. But we haven't anything to go on based on our poor furnace performance.

What I was thinking is something like a smaller soapstone stove could get the place up to temp and hold it for the time needed given that the Summit is hauling the freight for the majority of the house.

What I was thinking is something like a smaller soapstone stove could get the place up to temp and hold it for the time needed given that the Summit is hauling the freight for the majority of the house.

+1....that's from a fellow PE guy...

The Englander 17vl would be one to consider. Great clearances and about right for your space.

So European!

ResizeImageHandler.aspx

I like the flatpanel LCD display artwork. :oops:

Napoleon 1100, PE Vista, Quad 2100, Lopi Answer are smaller close clearance stoves.

What a great forum! Thanks for all the help so quickly. Yep, the close tolerance stove is what I need. Four inches or so would be perfect... and some sort of ash pan system. Uh, about the pic of guy with the mod looking stove and no tables... we live in northern, MN... but thanks. :)

What's you're budget?

Someone must have stolen all his tables, he has to set everything on the floor.
ahahahahhahahahhaha...I was thinking the same thing!!

Budget... well, as affordable as possible. It would be nice to keep it in or around $3000 for stove, hearth pad, chimney, and install. If we jump into this we'll do what we have to to get it done right. Thankfully the chimney will be 16' or less.

I'll say that we've been spoiled with the Summit and the Excel Chimney.

Bottom line, we don't need fancy, just effective.

PE's True North isn't as tight as some, but it's not bad at 7". It certainly is affordable.

I understand that the stove must fit in the available space but, as Jeff-t suggested, I wouldn't pass on a great stove over a few inches.

Budget... well, as affordable as possible. It would be nice to keep it in or around $3000 for stove, hearth pad, chimney, and install. If we jump into this we'll do what we have to to get it done right. Thankfully the chimney will be 16' or less.

I'll say that we've been spoiled with the Summit and the Excel Chimney.

Bottom line, we don't need fancy, just effective.
Sounds like an Englander or Drolet would do the job then.

A couple of things we haven't figured out yet...

1. Stove load orientation... north/south or east/west load? Do either have advantages particular to a corner installation?

2. What exactly are we getting for the extra cost when we go with a Pacific Energy, etc (higher end) stove over an Englander, Drolet, or PE True North? Is there a meaningful difference in build and durability?

Sure appreciate the help. It's like visiting the showroom without the pressure!

1. Lots of folks like n/s because the wood doesn't roll against the glass (black spots,breakage)(not corner install specific).
2. Can't answer specifically but, I saw a True North the other day and think it is a good looking stove.

The euro style stoves are very space saving but high in price. As to your orientation, a lot of the euro style stoves are vertical. Morso...Yotul F370.
It really comes down to finding a stove you like the looks of that fits your budget and meets the clearances that you have in mind.
Hope you find something that you like...and get some pics when you do..:)

The mod looking stoves won't go with our tastes or interior. ;lol I've been looking around tonight on the net and haven't been able to a lot with the close clearance that I'm looking for. The PE would work and perhaps the True North. We don't have a lot of room to work with in the corner we would install in. The Englanders and Drolets seem to need a lot of clearance. Any other stoves you can think of? I've got a learning to curve to overcome. I'll do some more poking around.

You can decrease the clearances with an NFPA wall shield for stoves that allow it.

"The mod looking stoves won't go with our tastes or interior." Dont blame you in the least on that part...not to my taste either, but they do have good clearances...

You're not going to get much better than 2" for the Napoleon 1100PC or 1100C, or 4" for the 1400PL or 1400C. Any closer and it would be touching the wall.

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
Status
Not open for further replies.