stove goes out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aztech63

Nov 24, 2008
MA
Folks;

I have the lyden free standing stove and it seems to go out at least once every other day for no particular reason that I can figure out. Anyone else having these problems? The only thing I can attribute it to is that It is always on the low setting when it seems to go out.

Thanks

Let's see:

Do you have any unburned pellets in the fire pot when the stove goes out?

How active is the fire ie. are your pellets hoping around a lot in the fire pot?

It sounds like you are burning up your pellets faster than the stove is dropping new ones into the fire pot.

You may need to adjust your draft if you have such an adjustment on your stove or you may have to change your auger trim a bit.

I agree with Smokey...burning on Low is tough. As he said, you are probably burning the pellets faster than the stove can supply them. On my Astoria, on low, I have to have the air control at about "1"...any higher and it threatens to go out.

Bad thing is that it's not a very efficient burn...lot's of black soot on bricks, heat transfer tubes, and glass. I'd put it up to "2" on the heat, and the air at about 1 1/4, and if the house is too hot, slow the room air blower down some.

You are correct ...burning on Low is tough. I think you may be right in the fact that I'm burning pellets faster than it can feed them at times. You'd think that they wouldn't have that setting if that happens when u sue it.

Soot everywhere so I'll try opening the air restrictor more.

Thanks for the info.

aztech63 said:
You are correct ...burning on Low is tough. I think you may be right in the fact that I'm burning pellets faster than it can feed them at times. You'd think that they wouldn't have that setting if that happens when u sue it.

Soot everywhere so I'll try opening the air restrictor more.

Thanks for the info.

Me thinks you are heading the wrong way with that restricter, you need to close it a bit if you are going to use the low heat option from what you told us. I'd look for an auger trim and feed it a few more pellets if you want to burn on a low setting. My stove actually has three #1 settings, the difference is auger trim 1-, 1, 1+.

I have the same stove and same issue. I thought I wasn't adding enough air, as mentioned, I was adding too much and burning the pellets faster than they were fed. On the lowest setting I don't add any air at all. It is probably not the most efficient burn, but it is staying lit now. The Leyden doesn't have an adjustable trim, that I can find.
Mike -

When I first got the stove I had it on low with very little air and it ran ok but the soot built up on the windows within a day and like you said I don't think it was very efficient. I guess it's just playing around with it over time. I really need to attach the theromstat just too much stuff going on to pry my way free for 15 minutes to figure out how to attach it. maybe this weekend if I get some time.

Some advice on the thermostat, don't just shut off the stove, unplug it. It is impossible to reach up and connect the wires to the back of the control board without unscrewing the control board. It is fitted in the unit tightly. When trying to pull it out a metal stand-off post for the control circuit board hit the metal side and POP. A nice blue spark and the stove was dead. I thought I killed it, but luckily it was just the fuse. Unplug it.
I didn't really like the thermostat but mostly because of the wires running across the floor. My Travis thermostat didn't seem very accurate and the cycles were too short, like 3 or 5 degrees? I want one where I can enter the on and off temps.
Mike -

Mike;

Good advice I will take it. :) In fact its good advice to always unplug anything electrical you are working on.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.