Stove heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

This summer I decided to rent out a room in my house. College guy.

Anyhow, starts getting cold, but stove which is in living room is fine to heat the whole house as long as the bedroom doors stay open for the most part. It doesn't get as warm in the bedrooms, but I have a fan in the hallway that moves the air around and it works quite well.

I don't know why, but he locks himself in the room if he is home. He is just on the computer in there or doing school work so not hiding anything (that I am aware of). Now usually nothing in the house is going on that is loud so it's not like it would disrupt studying or anything.

I have all the T Stats set to 65* in case the fire dies down or whatever, so I figured that must be an ok temp for him as he never said anything.

I went in there a few weeks back and T Stat was cranked to 85* and both windows were open! As you can imagine this chapped my butt a bit. Here I am using wood so I don't have to pay the gas man and he is heating the outdoors!

Been other things like me coming home early from work a few times and finding just about every light in the house on, etc. My light bill went from about $50 a month for the last year to $75 last month to give you an idea.

Talked to him, but no effect really. Not paying the bill so what does it matter right?

Well T Stat to his room is no longer hooked to the boiler.

Time to start "splitting the utilities" 50/50! And sitting down "to do the bills", pointing out the increase in kilowatt hrs. can be a real eye opener. I like that you disconnected the t-stat., that's pretty funny.

We had room mates for years here. And one of them was real ding-dong (good to know he's a tenured "educator", huh?) who was all over using the woodstove but paid little attention to how to use is properly. After he decided to start a fire without opening the by pass for the catalytic combustor you know who upbraided him severely and told him to keep his hands off the stove! It was a happy, happy day for me when we paid off the mortgage and gave him his marching orders, lol.

Two things to do:

1. Raise the rent.

2. Remove said renter.

So.......why is he still living there? Open windows and cranked temp's, etc.?????

Now that you know, it is your fault!!

So.......why is he still living there? Open windows and cranked temp's, etc.?????

Someone I know bought his sixteen yr. old daughter a cell phone and made her promise to keep the minutes within some minimal amount. Discussed family financial state with her, how important it was for her to only use the phone for emergencies or advise parents she missed the school bus, etc. First bill, over $600 in calls and texts just from his daughter alone. He is unemployed. He said, "She's a straight A student, too."

They had a serious talk. Next month, her bill was down to $300. Still ouch.

Now, the girl may be a straight A student, but she's a moron in some ways. Dad is, too, now. She still has the phone, still runs it up, and he is still unemployed. Duhhhhhhhhh.

No excuse for your renter to do what he is doing. He needs to be moved out within the week.

This little girl needs a pay-as-you-go phone. Give her 60 minutes a month. Once that runs out... she no pay-she no go.

#1 on a lease, and #2 I can use the $$.

I am putting the money into savings to cover mortgage. See I have to move in a year (I am military) and I haven't decided what to do on the house yet. Ideally I'd like to come back in a year or two after, but what I want and what Uncle Sam wants... usually not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.