Stove ID and Info, Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
For sale locally is this new Kent stove. Would this be out of Australia or New Zealand? EPA certified? Thanks, Doug

Attachments

• stove 2_496.jpg
    stove 2_496.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 339
  • stove 3_750.jpg
    stove 3_750.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 340
does it have tiles on the sides ? pete

Pete, owner reports no tiles. I read the Kent Tile Fire On hearth wiki - they spoke of the Sherwood model - budget model w/o tiles...maybe this is it?

It's a Tile Fire. The porcelain outer shell is the giveaway, as that's where the tiles were inserted (the Sherwood was just the inner box, no outer shell). To "finish" the Tile Fire, you'd insert six 6x6 ceramic tiles in each side, in two rows of three each. There was a black-finished aluminum keeper with channels at top and bottom that was installed horizontally between the two layers of tile on each side to lock the tops of the bottom tiles and the bottoms of the top tiles in place, and an unfinished keeper that spanned the top of the top row. Wavy thin-gage steel strips went around the outside perimeter of the tiles on each side to provide tension on the tiles to keep them from rattling. Also missing in the photo is the porcelain top plate, which hid the bypass lever and stovetop.

This was maybe the best-performing stove in the US in the 1980's, coming in at around 11 grams/hr while the Fishers, Schraders, Orleys, VCs, etc. that dominated the US marketplace belched out somewhere around 40-60 grams/hr. It burned clean enough to pass the original Oregon standard, but had to be tweaked a bit to meet US EPA Phase I standards, then totally redesigned with a refractory liner and arched refractory baffle system (the Ultima model) to meet Phase II. The listing label on the back of the stove will reveal which incarnation this one is for sure, but it looks like the stage-2 Tile Fire with the "tall" pedestal. If so, it predates the EPA standards, and would not be legal to install in states that require EPA certification.

Which is a shame, because in terms of burn time, heat output, controllability and user-friendliness, that stove is one of the best I've ever burned.

Read the wiki, what a neat idea. If you knew someone who could make you custom tiles, you could have any look, or looks, that you wanted. Could even change with the seasons..

Thanks, guys. I hope to eyeball it tomorrow. Tom, exceptional historical and functional data - TYVM. Would you have a manual I could buy?

Eyeballed stove today. Looked good. Never been fired. Had rust in firebox and on damper. The tile holder brackets are rough but something can be adapted. Manufactured July 86. Owner acquired by buying a public storage unit - it's been sitting there for ?decades?. Had a UL label with clearances, so, not so worried about a manual. We made a barter deal - my trade was worth $175. Quite pleased to get it. Now, for the Iron Bowl - WAR EAGLE!

Congratulations. That's quite the find and quite the deal.

Thanks, BG. Neat stove - the damper rod has a metal plate that locks door latch when bypass damper closed...you can't forget and get a face full of smoke.

dougand3 said:
Eyeballed stove today. Looked good. Never been fired. Had rust in firebox and on damper. The tile holder brackets are rough but something can be adapted. Manufactured July 86. Owner acquired by buying a public storage unit - it's been sitting there for ?decades?. Had a UL label with clearances, so, not so worried about a manual. We made a barter deal - my trade was worth $175. Quite pleased to get it. Now, for the Iron Bowl - WAR EAGLE!

Damn war eagle . . . right? ;) One of our friends is a die hard Auburn fan . . . she faithfully follows the games every Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.