Stove identification and some input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sadie143

Mar 15, 2017
Western NY
Hey everyone, I just moved into a house that has a wood stove built into the wall where a fireplace used to be. I was told that this fireplace used to kick off tons of heat but it doesn't seem to be doing much, and will struggle to bring the thermostat to low to mid 60s, never seen it go past 64. The thermostat is about 25 ft away. Another issue I'm having the the blower is getting so loud, it seems like something is loose but I'm not sure what, because when you press your hand against it, the rattling stops. You can shimmy it around and get the noise to be tolerable for about 5 minutes then it'll just get louder, so I leave the blower at about half speed to lower the noise. Another thing abut the blower is I don't feel much air moving from the vents on the side of the burner.
I can't find a tag to identify the wood burner, it says Olympic on the wood burner itself and avalon on the door. I've included a picture hoping it could help. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 1489598123826-1316276270.jpg
    1489598123826-1316276270.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 156
Yup, good call Jan. The window is a dead giveaway.

Poor stove performance could be due to deferred maintenance or it could just be the wood is not fully seasoned. The blackened glass hints that the stove is being run too cool. Often that is due to wet wood. Try some store bought wood to see if that burns better or add some 2x4 cutoffs to your firewood and see if that helps.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink