stove in low ceiling basement ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

outcast

Jun 24, 2012
i was advised to check stove specs for minimum ceiling clearance. i found that the vogalzang performer i am considering, was a minimum 8"ceiling clearance :sad: .

so i am wondering what my options are ?
no stove
different stove
smaller stove
some kind of heat sheilding.
something else ?

the ceiling is 6'4" to floor joists. concrete floor and block walls.

The following is a quote from: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

"Ceiling Protection

Be careful when installing stoves in areas with low overhead clearance, such as basements and rooms with sloped ceilings. NFPA requires 48” from the top of a stove to a combustible ceiling. This can be reduced by use of proper protection. Some newer stoves call for less clearance - we’ve seen models which allow 3 feet and even less. As always, consult the manual for newer and listed stoves."

As it says you can reduce clearances, this could be done with a piece of sheet metal with a 1" air space to allow air flow. I am sure you can install the stove you have if you install proper protection on the ceiling.

I have a similar situation with the clearance for the elbow and vertical pipe into the thimble on my basement stove. They placed the thimble too high. I installed a piece of sheet metal from the duct work aisle at Lowe's with two inches of Roxul on top of it and three or four inches of air space above it all to the joists. I used the perforated straps plumbers use to suspend pipe to hang it.

Also, I have never seen in my life a wood stove or insert on a raised fireplace hearth that was more than five feet from the top of the thing to the ceiling in a room with eight foot ceilings. Mine included for 28 years.

You definitely want to be careful with low ceilings think of a match the hottest point is at the tip of the flame. On your stove the hottest point is still the tip of the flame idea the top center of the stove gets very hot. The manual will have the required dimensions for a stove and you should be able to find them online in pdf form to read before you buy.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.