stove / insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
I am purchasing either stove/or insert. Given the choice which is better for heating the house. I use wood for heat with oil burner backup for colder nights. Usually pretty good. House is insulated well but still average 7-80 gals of oil per month. SO will i get the same heat performance from an insert (wife likes the look) or stick with a standalone stove (wife would have to adjust) thanks again.

I think it is the same IF you use a blower on the insert. Without a blower the heat is really limited. You will get opinions all accross the board. Go with a centrally located heater weather its an insert or stove...that will give you the best results!

I have an insert and having said that, a stove will always be more effecient if you have room for it. And if the aesthetic`s do not compromise you or your better half`s view of your living space.?

I already have metalbestos in the center of the great room and running up to the chimney in the inside of the chimney chase. I probably will by a blower if we do the insert so that the heat will move out and around through the room. Our great room also has a rather large fan right above the wood stove and also at the top of the stairs for the second floor kids bedrooms. Thanks for all the info. THis site is a great wealth of information.

So... you have a full prefab chimney system in place already? What exactly are you calling an "insert"? Do you have an existing open wood fireplace or masonry fireplace you plan to "insert" something into? If not, you don't want an insert. Many people call fireplaces like this an "insert" when in fact it is a built-in ZC EPA unit. http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=7100fp

When we built the house two years ago we installed our current (old)wood stove with metalbestos pipe up through to the roof. IT runs from the roof down through to our basement with a cleanout. We were looking at the Morso 5660 wood burning insert and then installing it using the current pipe and build a surround where the woodstove is now. Ive tried attaching a picture but the picture size is too large and i have no idea how to fix that

Here's a link for info on how to resize your pictures. If you are still having issues, attach it in a PM to me and I can resize it for you.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/27/

Although Morso calls the 5660 an "insert" on their website, technically it's not. This is form of a zero-clearance (ZC) fireplace stove. An insert is a stove that is designed to be "inserted" into an existing fireplace. One big difference between a ZC unit, an insert or a freestanding stove is the flue requirements. Thus the need for very specific information about the current flue setup.

Edit: this is wrong, see below

Actually BeGreen it IS an insert, check out the manual (check the install part where it shows it going into a masonry fireplace) http://www.morsoe.com/NR/rdonlyres/5CB07998-FC05-44CD-856C-3117C231772F/0/5660NA.pdf

Ok I did not read the entire manual, but I did not see any provisions for using this as a built in. It MUST be installed into a functioning existing fireplace. It does not sound like you could use that unit in your application, unless your first built a fireplace and then put it into it which would be very silly.

With that said any ZC / Built in unit you plan to install I would check the manual for pipe approvals. Many of these fireplace will be tested as a "system" including the pipe. This means you must use the pipe specified in the manual or you void the listing of the fireplace. Some might possibly be listed for use with any "Class A HT Pipe System" in which case you should be ok as long as your pipe meets the specs they list.

You are totally correct jtp. :red: After reading the manual I see this, though from the look of any installation and the brochure, they sure have done a good job of hiding the fact that a fireplace is somewhere behind the installation. In order for the flush mount to look decent it seems one would have to smooth wall any bricks behind the stove. Thanks for pointing this out and my apologies to l&o;for not taking time to download the manual before heading off to work.

I am going to try to upload this picture to give everyone a better idea of what i am looking at

Attachments

• HPIM1723_edited.jpg
    HPIM1723_edited.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 429
I'd put a big free-standing stove there to heat that big room. Doesn't look like an insert is what you're looking for.

So if I have an eight inch metalbestos stove pipe up through the ceiling I cant build a surround and use an insert??? I thought I would just be able to use a 6 inch collar to the eight inch chimney pipe to hook into the chimney. Then install the insert with a surround. Boy this is getting involved.....

Decisions are hard and can be overwhelming. I know - I just went through it!

Your space does look ideal for a free standing stove. There are some really nice looking ones out there. I almost got the Hearthstone Phoenix this winter but opted for the Jotul 550 because my space just wasn't set up for a free standing stove.

Show your wife some of the soapstone stoves. I think they are really pretty and look almost like furniture rather than a stove.

Jotul has very nice looking free standing stoves too.

All can be checked out on line so you don't have to drive all over to different dealers.....that gets tiring and my kids were not into it at all!

Good Luck and try to enjoy the process.... :)

I think it is the same IF you use a blower on the insert. Without a blower the heat is really limited.

If the blower is optional and the same price if you order it after the stove IMO it's always worth trying the stove without the blower. I don't use a blower on my Quad 3100i (insert) and have never had a problem heating my house.

lawandorder said:
So if I have an eight inch metalbestos stove pipe up through the ceiling I cant build a surround and use an insert??? I thought I would just be able to use a 6 inch collar to the eight inch chimney pipe to hook into the chimney. Then install the insert with a surround. Boy this is getting involved.....

No, an insert is an insert. It has one purpose, to be INSERTED into another fireplace. You don't have a fireplace to put one in.

If you want to put a built-in fireplace there and build a surround around it you need a ZC EPA fireplace and I linked to one in another post above.

jtp10181 said:
lawandorder said:

No, an insert is an insert. It has one purpose, to be INSERTED into another fireplace. You don't have a fireplace to put one in.

If you want to put a built-in fireplace there and build a surround around it you need a ZC EPA fireplace and I linked to one in another post above.

amen!

law.... he is right, going by that pic you need a zc PLUS it would be much more cost effective to go with a stove.. unless you do a gas insert
look for a nice stove... hearthstone , pacific energy check out the gallery for ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.