Stove/insert with below roofline flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcstatz5829

Jul 11, 2018
Indianapolis
I just moved into a new home. It has one of those mostly decorative gas fireplaces, probably zero clearance, and the flue only goes up about 1/4 or 1/3 up the side of the house, enclosed in a chase (I think it’s called a chase) with a vent out the side.

Are there any wood stoves that can be safely installed with a below roofline vent?

I want the stove for emergency power out situations (but mostly I just like them) so something with high heat output would be preferred.

Nope. Wood stove flues must subscribe to the 10-3-2 rule. Pellet stoves can be lower, but they need power too.

Here's the 10-3-2 rule illustrated.
10-3-2 rule.JPG

There are many other factors besides this that you need to check on before proceeding. You'll also need to be sure that clearances work for both the chimney pipe AND the stove.