Stove install road bumps...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I am in the process of having a PE Summit installed. The installer came out today to look at the chimney and roof. The outcome was not good. He said it would be almost impossible to drop a liner down the 34 foot tall chimney without staging. Access from the roof would not be possible since it is about a 10 pitch and the chimney top is about 6+ ft above the roof line at the closest point to the stop of the chimney.

With that said... the install price now went up by a few hundred bucks. The installer mentioned about a positive flue, which in know are legal here in the US (i think). I think a positive flue s a piece of liner that extends past the first flue tile, if this not right please correct me. Is this also referred to as direct connect? What are the pros and cons of full liner vs positive flue. I know full liners are easier to clean, where as positive flue install has to have the stove removed.

My main question about a positive flue would be safety. How does it differ in safety when compared to a full SS liner. I do not want to do anything that is unsafe.

A few hundred to put up and take down staging!? Wow.
I don't know the going rate in Mass, but PM me for the name of a trustworthy mason in your area if you want another opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.