Stove invasion?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I'm working away in the house when all of a sudden I hear what sounds like a brief blip from a machine gun. After a minute or so, brrrrrap, there it is again.
I get up and walk around the house to locate the sound. Braaaap! It's coming from the stove, or sort of. The stove is out, but the noise repeats. WTH?

Then a lightbulb goes off in my head. Mating season is here and I have either a flicker, woodpecker or sapsucker that is using our stove cap as a calling card. I went out to take a picture, but no luck so far. He is probably off nursing a bent beak and a headache. Hopefully it's a flicker. We have a new nesting box setup for them.

thats great, somewhere i have a picture of a crazed woodpecker doing the same on transformer way up a power pole. crazy stuff.

I have a red bellied that does it every year. Took me forever to spy him doing it.

Ja, those crazy birds like to use my metal wheelbarrow. The shape of it resonates loudly. Now and then they will use the metal roof of my woodshed.

as i was filling the bird feeder this a.m. i could hear what sounded like an army of woodpeckers in the woods! either they found a really good tree for food, or they are looking for many girlfriends!!

Last year, one of those buggers punched several large holes in the board and bat on my guest cottage. It was not in use and it was before the remodel. This year, I'm ready. As nice as they are to look at, they can do much damage to a wood sided home.

Last year, one of those buggers punched several large holes in the board and bat on my guest cottage. It was not in use and it was before the remodel. This year, I’m ready. As nice as they are to look at, they can do much damage to a wood sided home.

My exterior is all wood and they love my house. I heard a rap-rap-rap one day when I was in the garage and my wife came out to see what I was doing, it wasnt me it was woody looking for food on my house.

Oh hi,

I get red headed wood peckers making that machine gun sound on the chimney. But lately I have blue-jays dropping acorns down my various vent pipes! I put mesh over them...but I keep wondering if I'll see a tree grow out of a pipe one day!

BeGreen said:
a flicker, woodpecker or sapsucker that is using our stove cap as a calling card.
"Dude, you're a woodpecker." :lol:
Maybe he's a teenage musician that's into speed metal.
You're lucky it wasn't a woodchuck up there, chuckin' your metal into the lake. :)

We'll occasionally see a Piliated around here. Very cool-looking, and serious heavy-duty pecking!

First couple years here we had that problem.. bad thing is the steel chimney runs right up the wall next to our headboard, and them $%^#!!! woodpeckers get up EARLY!!

Have not had one do it the last few springs, not sure why/why not. The one that was doing it was a Pileated, big bird. We see them all the time.. the joy of living in their woods.

Looks like that has happened to lots of us.

I don't have peckers but soon the swallows should come and I welcome them. By mid summer my chimney will be polished clean.

wkpoor said:
I don't have peckers but soon the swallows should come and I welcome them. By mid summer my chimney will be polished clean.

Isn't it buzzards that return to Ohio?

Franks said:
At least you didnt stop drop roll and come up firing at the stove.
Nothing like a bit of PTSD to bring on a flashback of 'nam.

There are holes all over our gingerbread from woodpeckers. We have been woke up many times, gets old fast.

wkpoor said:

swifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.