Stove leaking water out of the bottom - Green Mountain 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mucully

Apr 7, 2022
Maryland
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some guidance, as my wood stove has been doing something really strange lately. My stove (Hearthstone Green Mountain 40) drips a fairly significant amount of water out of the bottom of the stove only when I start a fire. It leaks a fair bit dripping out of a few spots (as seen in the pictures I've attached). The water is black and smells strongly of char/soot and drips all over my slate tiles. After a while the dripping stops even as I add new logs. Has anyone else experienced something like this and have any advice for how to stop it from happening?

Also if you have any advice for cleaning persistent splatter "stains" from the dark water leaking out that would be appreciated too.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

IMG_9642.PNG IMG_9641.PNG IMG_9640.PNG IMG_9639.PNG IMG_9638.PNG

Last edited:
Is this on a cold start only? It may be from condensation inside the stove as the wood boils off moisture.

Has the stove been running fairly regularly at full temp (500-600º stove top temp)

Reactions: Mucully
Is this on a cold start only? It may be from condensation inside the stove as the wood boils off moisture.

Has the stove been running fairly regularly at full temp (500-600º stove top temp)
Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes it is only on a cold start. Now that you mention it I did notice some droplets on the interior on the soapstone. Though I would've expected that to turn to steam and go up the chimney.

I run the stove around 3-5 days a week lately and make sure to get it into the 500 degree range to prevent creosote build up.

put an aluminum or metal pan under the drips until you figure it out. Is your wood dry or hissing when it starts to burn?

put an aluminum or metal pan under the drips until you figure it out. Is your wood dry or hissing when it starts to burn?
good idea I’ve been using paper towels but I’m going through a lot of them.

I don’t hear any audible hissing and my wood is dry (about 20% on a fresh split).

good idea I’ve been using paper towels but I’m going through a lot of them.

I don’t hear any audible hissing and my wood is dry (about 20% on a fresh split).
i wonder if rain water is getting down your chimney?

This happened to me on my first year having the stove and a tiny bit in the second year. It will go away. Make sure you are using seasoned and dry wood and keep a layer of ash on the bottom always. Its normal.