Stove life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
I been looking at used stoves for over a year and most stoves look like rusted out pieces of crap and they want good money for them .i used mine all last winter and it still looks brand new.the insert my family has had since the 80s still looks good.i guess my ? Is how long does the paint last on these new modern stoves with appropriate usage?

My hunch is that a lot of the junk used stoves for sale have spent some time sitting out in a shed or carport.

I been looking at used stoves for over a year and most stoves look like rusted out pieces of crap and they want good money for them .i used mine all last winter and it still looks brand new.the insert my family has had since the 80s still looks good.i guess my ? Is how long does the paint last on these new modern stoves with appropriate usage?
Anywhere from one season up to 10 or so years. It depends upon how it is treated and the environment it is in.

I didn't even want to put a kettle of water on it last year this year im going to try a trivet deal hoping it will help

I didn't even want to put a kettle of water on it last year this year im going to try a trivet deal hoping it will help
You can always just repaint it if need be

A bit of rust is more related to humidity levels of where the stove is located. I have a PE Summit in the basement that tends to rust on the top every summer. With some use and a little elbow grease, the rust abates and the stove comes to life for the winter. The biggest thing that tends to trash a stove in short order is over-firing. Discoloration--a dull red is a sure sign that things are not as they should be and things got too hot. Surface rust will take about a century to make a difference in the life of a stove--over-firing takes far lest time to make 400 or so pounds of scrap.

Reactions: bholler

I tried the cast pot with and without trivit early on. Being as careful as possible I still ended up goofing up the finish on the stove. No good. Just saying! Since that, no stove gets water set on it.

Plug in a small humidifier elsewhere if you need moisture.

I rusted up my new stovetop in the first 2 years by making tea on it all the time.

Quick hit with a wire brush, shot of Stove Brite, and you cannot even tell. I still make tea on it! Repairing painted-finish damage takes under 5 minutes- but only do it in warm weather, because that new paint needs to cure, and it is a whole lot more pleasant with the windows open.

Get with your manufacturer and ask what paint they use at the factory, and use the same thing.

Reactions: Sawset
Invest in a nice kettle that doesn't spit water out on the stove. I heat tea water all the time on our stove and there is no rusting, even after 11 yrs.

I rusted up my new stovetop in the first 2 years by making tea on it all the time.

Quick hit with a wire brush, shot of Stove Brite, and you cannot even tell. I still make tea on it! Repairing painted-finish damage takes under 5 minutes- but only do it in warm weather, because that new paint needs to cure, and it is a whole lot more pleasant with the windows open.

Get with your manufacturer and ask what paint they use at the factory, and use the same thing.
They probably sell a spray can on the stove company website