Stove lighting increasing in frequency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimfromMA

Minister of Fire
Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
Woke up to 60 degrees in the house this morning so I lit the stove for the 2nd time in 3 days. In years past, my first burn wouldn't normally occur until just before Halloween.

No sunshine, no solar gain. It's been in the low 60's in the house for the past few mornings.

or

Did you by some chance leave a window open?

Woke up to 60 degrees in the house this morning so I lit the stove for the 2nd time in 3 days. In years past, my first burn wouldn't normally occur until just before Halloween.
That's why I like the programmable t-stat, it ramps up the heat about 45 minutes before I get up. If the house is that cold, I don't want to get up! Mine has come on the past 2 mornings but really have used it very little so far this year.

No sunshine, no solar gain. It's been in the low 60's in the house for the past few mornings.

or

Did you by some chance leave a window open?

House is pretty well shaded from all the trees. Won't see any real solar gain until the leaves drop.

The floors are starting to get chilly again, so I'm looking forward to getting the second stove hooked up in the basement hopefully this weekend :)

Reactions: alternativeheat
The floors are starting to get chilly again, so I'm looking forward to getting the second stove hooked up in the basement hopefully this weekend :)
Thats what I want, now to find the right one/deal. Retiring soon and want to get this done this year while they pay out my severance hopefully. Warm basement work shop, warm first level floors too, yay !

My better half and I always have a little friendly competition to see you will turn the dial first. Past experience has shown she reaches for the dial about two weeks into October. She almost gave in last night (cold rainy day) so she just might give in a bit earlier this year if the temps don't stay up.

I can tolerate down to 65. I Prefer 70

Reactions: alternativeheat
My better half and I always have a little friendly competition to see you will turn the dial first. Past experience has shown she reaches for the dial about two weeks into October. She almost gave in last night (cold rainy day) so she just might give in a bit earlier this year if the temps don't stay up.
We can count on more consistant heating needs at about the 15th on around here I ran the stove a few mornings in Sept but hasn't been cold enough since. My point of disgust hits at about 65 deg indoors with presence of cold air filtering in, or damp air. The oil heat is set at 64 so I will flip the switch on the pellet stove before that thing kicks on. Maybe this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.