Pellet Stove did not feed or light automatically as normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 23, 2020
Quarryville, PA
Hi,

Two days ago I cleaned out the burn pot well and cleaned out the igniter area below the burn pot where the two wing nuts holding the plate are. So the stove is nicely clean.

Last night filled the pellets to the top, it was a warm day here, and it was either winding down or not burning but still a low blower running.

All night I heard the low burner on but didn't hear feeding or lighting.

Woke up to 62 degrees in the house, and it was still running the low blower. As soon as I took a video, the blower turned off.

So I turned it off, and on, and now everything is OK. I think this is the second or third time this has happened to me this season.

Turn volume way up to hear the stove, and my voice. One minute video

Thanks!

So you had an issue after you dumped in pellets? And the stove was going (or in shut down mode) when you filled the hopper?

If that is the case, I am suspicious that something went slightly awry while filling the hopper. Since it shut off directly after lifting/lowering the hopper stove, my guess is that a pellet (or partial pellet) got stuck and kept the lid from closing completely. Then when you opened/close the door in the video, that pellet/piece fell out of the way.

If any door is left slightly ajar while burning/shutting down, the blower will continue to run until that door is shut tightly.

So you had an issue after you dumped in pellets? And the stove was going (or in shut down mode) when you filled the hopper?

If that is the case, I am suspicious that something went slightly awry while filling the hopper. Since it shut off directly after lifting/lowering the hopper stove, my guess is that a pellet (or partial pellet) got stuck and kept the lid from closing completely. Then when you opened/close the door in the video, that pellet/piece fell out of the way.

If any door is left slightly ajar while burning/shutting down, the blower will continue to run until that door is shut tightly.
Yes, stove was going or in shut down when I added the pellets.

Ah, that is a good guess. If it happens again I will have to try opening and closing the hopper door.

Thanks!