stove location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ms440

Hearth Supporter
Apr 6, 2006
Maine
I definetly live in stove country and wanted to pose a question to the forum. A lot of people around here say that it is hard to push heat in a residence North, for what ever reason, and therefore you should not put a stove on the south side of a residence. We know that a southern exposure is best for capturing natures heat from the sun, could this be a factor. Anyone else heard this or have an opinion on this theory?

When that Arctic out-brake starts hitting the N , E, S or W side of any house at any mph there is a low pressure on the opposite side trying to suck out hot air from any leak in that side house. So cold air is being forced and sucked in from one side and your hot is air going out of the house on the other when the wind blows. Must be a lot of north wind in winter where you live. This could be what they are seeing in homes that are not that tight.

I think I like Driftwood's answer, it seems to make sense. BTW I live in a very tight home. It is not that I am having a problem, just a curriosity. My house is on a north slope, and faces north, and my house has a lot of glass in the back to capture the sun, along with my stove. I can pretty much heat my house with my Mansfield, but I am interested to see how it pans out when it gets really cold as I just moved in this March. There are obvouisoly many variables, but my floor plan is very open, and I hope to heat as much exclusively with wood as possible this winter. And yes, there is a very stiff North/North west wind in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.